We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment Rentals via Craigslist

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Apartment Rentals via Craigslist

My friend and I will be going to Dublin end of August. I am finding many hotels already booked and so I turned next to Craigslist. I am finding several very nice (at least in the ad) and fairly priced places to stay. However, they want a security deposit ($300-500) now to get a confirmation. This seems suspicious as why we would give them the refundable security deposit now before we even set foot in the place. I don't want to get scammed but it would be nice to spend our time in one of these apartments. Has anyone rented an apartment in Dublin and if so, what was your experience. Any other words of wisdom. Thanks.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,258 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment Rentals via Craigslist

Some are genuine but there are too many scammers on that site to take a chance.

" If it sounds too good to be true."

Maryland
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment Rentals via Craigslist

Try VRBO.com or HomeAway.com for "self-catering"

Cheers,

Sunny

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,181 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment Rentals via Craigslist

On Saturday 30th August, 2014, Penn Sate is playing UCF in Dublin. There will be significant extra demand on accommodation both immediately before and after, as many extend their stay:

http://www.crokepark.ie/crokeparkclassic/home

Would you be prepared to stay in the outskirts and use public transport to travel into the city centre, if your visit coincides with that particular event?

I agree with lordkimmage and would be very hesitant to use Craigslist in this instance. There would be a lot at stake, if things went wrong.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,258 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment Rentals via Craigslist

What are your Dublin dates and what's your budget?

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
8,888 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment Rentals via Craigslist

Whatever you do, make sure you pay by credit card, that way they are liable unde section 75 if you dont get what you paid for.

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,254 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment Rentals via Craigslist

No location in Ireland will want a deposit in US$. If they do want a deposit in a foreign currency (we use the Euro here) step back, VERY far back!!

If you are heading to the football consider staying out in the suburbs and getting a dart (suburban train) in.

If you aren't in town for the match, consider rescheduling your time in Dublin.

Dublin
Level Contributor
989 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartment Rentals via Craigslist

I am presently looking to rent an apartment in two different locations for 2014. One in France and one in Spain. Every single owner is looking for a security deposit. In some instances you pay this up front and it is refunded a MONTH after you return home. Some you pay when you arrive and it is refunded after inspection as you are leaving. Most rentals want a deposit now and the balance six weeks before travel. You really have to do your research and look at the history of the rentals.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,317 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartment Rentals via Craigslist

We rented a Millenium walk apartment through www.staycity.com. The location was great and the price reasonable.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
74 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Apartment Rentals via Craigslist

I rented an apartment in Buenos Aires, and paid a significant deposit via wire transfer. They want to have an assurance that there apartment is really rented.

10. Re: Apartment Rentals via Craigslist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 06:18