We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Phone Chargers

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
211 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Car Phone Chargers

Dumb question, but figured Id ask anyway. Are the car charger ports (cigarette lighter port) the same as in the USA? So if I bring my car charger is it the same or do the cars have different ones. Standard plugs are 220 volt in Ireland, correct?( hotel rooms)

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,215 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Phone Chargers

Hi Stevens

No, not a dumb question at all....the car chargers are the same but I remember reading somewhere that some rental cars don't have cigarette lighters....could be wrong, but check rather than be stuck!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,161 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Phone Chargers

220/240 is standard.. Cig lighters in cars,, just hear say so not binding but it has been voiced that cig lighters have been dis functioned on rental cars from a company which actively pushes their satnav and now personal wifi.. no names as its not confirmed but as above get email confirmation that one will be fitted and working..

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
533 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Phone Chargers

Your phone charger in the hotel room should be ok. Most electronics are built to handle the conversion without an additional transformer. You will need the IE plug type. If you have a BlackBerry, their wall chargers come with an interchangeable plug plate for international travel. As for cars, the 'cigarette lighter' is a 12-volt outlet...and unless you have a very odd car, it will be the same in the US and anywhere in the EU and UK. When I was last in Ireland (2012) the car I hired from Hertz had a working outlet, but it wasn't a cigarette lighter.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Phone Chargers

I bought a USB charger that plugs into my car charger that powers any USB-powered device such as my Samsung fone. I think it cost me a couple of pounds the last time I was in England. In Dublin there are lots of phone unlocking shops that will sell a simple device like this. The device looks something like this but was not as expensive (mine is single, not dual)

amazon.com/PowerGen-2-4Amps-charger-Designed…

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Phone Chargers

Not a dumb question! I just asked my husband to research this same info.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
533 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Phone Chargers

Be careful in the kind of charger you get. Different chargers are wired differently and some may not carry enough load to charge your phone.

7. Re: Car Phone Chargers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 05:18