We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Dublin Airport to Heuston Station?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
Getting from Dublin Airport to Heuston Station?

Hiya,

I am flying into Dublin this Sunday (26th Jan) at 11.20am - I need to catch the train to the West Coast from Heuston and I am wondering if I will have enough time to get from the airport to Heuston via airlink bus or taxi to catch the 1pm train? Time is kind of 'of the essence' with this trip unfortunately.

Any advice would be gratefully received, thanks in advance!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,197 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Dublin Airport to Heuston Station?

If your flight is on time and you get your bags quickly you should make it....traffic will be light on a Sunday.

Perth, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Dublin Airport to Heuston Station?

Great, thanks :-)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Dublin Airport to Heuston Station?

I think it's cutting it really fine. If you're flying into Terminal 2 it might be doable because it tends to be quicker to pass through.

Would it be quicker to just get a bus from the airport to your final destination rather than going into the city centre for a train?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,197 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Dublin Airport to Heuston Station?

Lollys idea is a good one and you could get to the west quicker that way. If you have to take the train, play it by ear and see how quick you get through security and baggage collection then decide on the bus or taxi. The bus goes every 15 mins and there are always loads of taxis.

Perth, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Dublin Airport to Heuston Station?

Hmmm, I'm not sure?? I need to end up in Tralee. Don't want to be chopping and changing buses too much etc, and i have zero experience with Irish public transport so if there is a direct bus from the airport (or indeed, any other decent way of getting around!) to Tralee I would be most interested... thanks guys!

Perth, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Dublin Airport to Heuston Station?

Great, that sounds like it might be a plan. I am flying into Terminal 2 if it makes a difference...

Perth, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Dublin Airport to Heuston Station?

Ok, so apparently it will take around 7hrs to get there by bus from the airport compared to a 4hr train trip. Maybe a taxi to the train station from the airport depending on how soon a bus will arrive after I clear customs etc... think I'm just going to have to play it by ear!

Was going to fly to Kerry but there are two flights per day and the early one leaves about 10mins before I fly in - typical ;-)

Thanks for the replies so far guys - it is appreciated :-)

Edited: 22 January 2014, 13:02
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Dublin Airport to Heuston Station?

Stick with the train if going to Tralee. It's a longer bus journey and I don't think there is a service direct from the airport.

If you're arriving from Dubai on emirates then it'll be terminal 2 and you should get through it quick enough

Perth, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Dublin Airport to Heuston Station?

Yep, coming from Dubai on Emirates. Will stick with Plan A then and the train :-)

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Dublin Airport to Heuston Station?

Have you booked the train online at www.irishrail.ie? It is much cheaper than buying at the station, although if booking now you are a bit late to get the cheapest fares.

If tight for time take a taxi to station. The train is more comfortable than the bus. You will be boarding the train bound for cork and changing at mallow for Tralee