We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free/cheap things to do in/around Dublin?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Free/cheap things to do in/around Dublin?

I will be in Dublin in June for a few days and was wondering what free or cheap things there are to do there? I'd like to spend time in Dublin as well as take a day trip (or two) to another area. I am interested in seeing nature as well as checking out historical sites, museums, cheap eats, events/festivals, music/arts/dancing, etc.

Thank you in advance for your help!

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free/cheap things to do in/around Dublin?

Dublins National Museums and the Art Gallery are free and well worth a visit - I can't post the links, but do a search for them. Watching the buskers on Grafton Street is free and good fun, especially at the weekend, as is strolling round Dublins lovely city park, St Stephens Green. For history, my number one recommendation for Dublin is Kilmainham Goal. It's a few years since I visited, but I believe that the entrance fee is still very reasonable. Hope this gets you started - I am sure the locals will provide more suggestions.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Free/cheap things to do in/around Dublin?

Go to Phoenix Park http://www.phoenixpark.ie/

dublin
Level Contributor
131 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free/cheap things to do in/around Dublin?

Sign up nearer the time to www.mydealpage.ie for deals on restaurants etc. 2 course options plentiful around Dublin as early birds. Hard to know what is good value without your budget or taste but lots to choose from in Dublin with regard to ethnic choices.

My suggestions are take the dart train to Howth, coastal town in North Country Dublin, for cliff and harbour walks - meet the seals in the harbour. Take the dart train to Bray and walk the cliff walk to Greystones, visit The Happy Pear in Greystones for wonderful food. Take the dart back to the city from Greystones. In Bray you can walk up Bray head, weather permitting. You can google for details on these free activities. According to google there are plenty of free walking tours in Dublin1! Have fun in Dublin.

Glenside...
Level Contributor
194 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free/cheap things to do in/around Dublin?

Take the Dart south to Killiney (the stop before Bray). Walk to the top of Killiney Hill (go up Vico Rd and you will go past Bono's house) for great views over Dublin, the Irish Sea, and the countryside. Then walk down through Dalkey to Sandycove where you can jump in the Irish Sea at the 40 Foot. Then continue on north to Dun Laoghaire to explore around there, then get on the Dart back to Dublin.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,407 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Free/cheap things to do in/around Dublin?

Take your pick:

lonelyplanet.com/ireland/…77773

www.tcd.ie/tcbr/biodiversity-audiotour/

www.visitdublin.com/pdf/100-free-2013.pdf

Bring a pair of binoculars and get some birdwatching for free:

birdwatchireland.ie/Birdwatching/tabid/83/De…

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Free/cheap things to do in/around Dublin?

Thank you all very much! I will definitely be using this information as I plan my trip!

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free/cheap things to do in/around Dublin?

There is a 'free' walking tour that is quite interesting, lasts about 4 hours around Dublin city centre. While you don't pay for the tour itself, the guides depend on tips for their income - some people give them, some don't. i gave €5 when I did the tour and I thought it was good value. I always do these 'free' walking tours when I visit cities - it's agreat way to learn a bit about the history of the city/country that you are in. See TA reviews - tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g186605-d17…

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Free/cheap things to do in/around Dublin?

That sounds perfect! I will do it. Thanks so much!

dublin
Level Contributor
131 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Free/cheap things to do in/around Dublin?

Also, check out www.meetup.com as there are literally hundreds of activities every week in Dublin. One of my favourite groups that I'm a member of is Dublin Local History Group on meetup.com. We get lots of visitors joining in our activities around Dublin - more often than not our events are free! Joining meetup.com is free but you can browse on it and find cool stuff to do.

Have fun!

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Free/cheap things to do in/around Dublin?

Thank you Alicha! I will most definitely be looking into this! I'm actually a member of meetup.com too but didn't think to check them out for my trip. It would be a great way to meet people, especially since I will be traveling solo. Thanks so much again!!