We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Dublin to Limerick and back

usa
Level Contributor
107 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Dublin to Limerick and back

Hi,

Next month, I'll be flying into Dublin and immediately heading to Limerick by train. Can anyone tell me the best way to get from the airport to Hueston Station? Also, on Irish Rail's online site, the trains with no transfer are about half the cost of the trains where you have to transfer. It seems the cheaper, no-transfer option is the best way to go, but I may be missing something. Is that the best option?

Thanks!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Dublin to Limerick and back

In general the ones with a transfer are faster, but I don't find that it really makes up for the inconvenience of the transfer, especially if you have bags.

There are two practical ways to get from the Airport to Heuston Station. One is by the 747 bus, the other is by taxi. The bus will be cheaper, but can take up to an hour. I would be disappointed if a taxi took more than 30 minutes.

You might also want to look into taking a bus directly from Dublin Airport. It won't be as comfortable as the train, but it will be faster, cheaper and will avoid too much time lugging around baggage.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
61,132 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Dublin to Limerick and back

I would certainly take the no changes, cheaper option, but I agree with blackgreen that the coach option is also worth looking at.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Dublin to Limerick and back

Take a train without a transfer. Much easier. And you don't have to look for a seat in Ballybrophy or Limerick Junction.

usa
Level Contributor
107 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Dublin to Limerick and back

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a couple of bags, so the no transfer option would be lovely. I think I will also look into the bus/coach. Is there a particular line that I should look into?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Dublin to Limerick and back

JJ Kavanagh jjkavanagh.ie

and

M7 Coaches dublincoach.ie/timetables/M7-bus-ennis-limer…

as well as www.buseireann.ie

Edited: 03 February 2014, 22:42
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Dublin to Limerick and back

Sorry that link isn't live http://jjkavanagh.ie/

usa
Level Contributor
107 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Dublin to Limerick and back

Thanks. I'll look into this. I didn't realize how far the train station was from the airport.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,292 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Dublin to Limerick and back

If you decide on the coach option, be aware that the Dublin Coach route also requires a transfer, so may not suit you as well as Bus Eireann or Kavanagh's

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
162 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Dublin to Limerick and back

The transfer on the train at Limerick Junction is very easy, you just cross the platform to the train for Limerick city that will be waiting there, it's very easy.

Make sure to book your train tickets in advance as this is much cheaper, even if you miss the train you book, you will usually only have to pay an extra €10 to take a later train.

Geneva, Illinois
Level Contributor
65 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Dublin to Limerick and back

Glad I looked at this thread and found the option for the coach. If we get the bus at the Dublin airport which destination in Limerick would be best to pick up a rental car?