We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One last trip - and I cant decide who to go with?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
One last trip - and I cant decide who to go with?

Ive been living in Ireland for the last 18 months and Im leaving soon ;(

I've done a fair share of travelling, but I'd like to do a little tour before I leave to see the things I've missed - The cliffs of Moher and Cork/Blarney castle are top of my list.

Ive looked at Paddywagon, Shamrock and Vagabond. Vagabond looks great, and Ive read great reviews, but they miss out on all the sites I want to see! Paddywagon do a good southern tour, but it sounds more like a boozebus than a tour? I mean, Im keen for the odd pint and meeting new people, but I dont want to miss things because everyone wants to stay out til 4am and get trashed?

So what should I do? Risk the Paddywagon, or rather do Vagabond and miss the stuff I really want to see? Are there any other options? Im late 20's, so CIE tours is probably not an option either? I could do a day tour, but at €100 a day, I think they work out pretty expensive?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,458 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One last trip - and I cant decide who to go with?

Sounds like an independent tour is more your style? You can visit Cork and Blarne on your own via bus or train to Cork and then bus to Blarney for a couple of hours.

Ditto for the Cliffs. Get to Galway (You don't say what part of Ireland you're living in) and take a day trip from there. I may be mistaken but I don't think the day trips from Galway to Cliffs of Moher are anywhere near €100 !!

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One last trip - and I cant decide who to go with?

'.....do Vagabond and miss the stuff I really want to see ? ' Yeah, right.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One last trip - and I cant decide who to go with?

Insightful - yes very insightful! I guess Vagabond is out because they dont do the Cliffs. Such a pity because they sound excellent.

I had another look at Shamrock and I think I might do their 3-day tour instead of Paddywagon. People who recommend them seem interested in scenery other than the bottom of a pint glass!

The €100 tour I was thinking of was the irishrail tour from Dublin (where I live) to the cliffs. I guess I could bus/train it to the west and just take it from there, but I'd have to go *gasp* ALONE! I just cant bring myself to do a tour by myself, I just know I'll end up in a corner of a pub feeling sorry for myself and wondering what I was thinking ;)

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One last trip - and I cant decide who to go with?

hatter, thanks for taking my comment in such good spirit. Glad that you've found a tour company which will meet your needs. You're right, you will enjoy the experience even more in the company of others.

Toronto, Ontario
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One last trip - and I cant decide who to go with?

Hi hatter08,

I did the 7 day Vagabond tour in May and visited both the Blarney Castle and the Cliffs of Moher.

Keep in mind since it's such a small group it's possible for them to customize the itinerary as long as what you want to do is in the general direction you're going.

If you have questions about specific sites they're really responsive to emails sent from the website.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One last trip - and I cant decide who to go with?

Insightful on both accounts. Hey insightful. How are you feeling?

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: One last trip - and I cant decide who to go with?

I did the PaddyWagon 10 day tour. Here are some observations:

The guides do know what they are talking about (at least ours did)

While there was a party atmosphere on the bus, it did not overshadow the fact that we were there to see Ireland.

The hostels were a bit dodgy but since you are with people from your tour it is a bit better than strangers.

They do leave a lot up to the guides,,,our tour did not get to the Wicklow mountains or the Rock of Cashel. When we raised a stink, our guide told us that very few tours ever actually make it there in order to stay on schedule....

All in all, I had a fantastic trip, saw some incredible sites but probably would not book with them again.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One last trip - and I cant decide who to go with?

Wish I could say 'great ' Boru's clues.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One last trip - and I cant decide who to go with?

Hi insightful. How could I forget you? You have a memorable way about you at first, then the gentler insightful comes out. Speaking of which, I hope whatever got under your skin comes out soon. Cheers.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One last trip - and I cant decide who to go with?

Sorry hatter, and maybe insightful. I was feeling ill at that moment, picturing rolling around in flour. I'm feeling much better now. Cheers.