We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base location for touring

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
17 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Base location for touring

Visiting ireland in September and flying into Dublin to start touring on day bus tours as well as Dublin on our own. Then taken the train to another area before flying out of Shannon airport to Scotland. Our thoughts for the second base area for day bus trips is either Cork, Ennis or Limerick. And recommendations would be appreciated.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,115 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base location for touring

Possibly the best two "Touring" bases with tours running from them would be Galway and Killarney.. Cork and Limerick have limited tours running and Ennis much as I love the town would be limited unless driving yourself. You also want to be close to SNN the night before your flight.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
772 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Base location for touring

Glad to hear that

I plan to fly into Dublin for 3 nights then train to Galway for 3 nights then bus to Killarney for 2 nights, then bus to Bunratty for 1 night and depart from Shannon. Day tours from each city.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,115 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Base location for touring

Personally I would reverse that a little.. Dublin to Killarney by train then bus up to Galway back to Bunratty. Traveling between Galway and Killarney (vice versa) takes a lump of a day so either drop a night from Dublin and have 3 each this side, or travel from the 2 night to the 3 night so you have at least a bit of time either side of the shorter one,, if that makes sense?

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Base location for touring

I'd drop a night in Dublin if I was on such a short trip. The weather should be still quite okay and it is better to see beautiful countryside than plodding around Dublin. In my opinion you won't regret it.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
772 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Base location for touring

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm going in mid September. I did see that the distance between Galway and Killarney is 3+ hours and the same for Killarney to Bunratty. As for cutting a day from Dublin, I like extra time in the first city to recover from jet lag and I'm also more of a city person.

Virginia
Level Contributor
17 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Base location for touring

Thank you.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,301 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Base location for touring

Day Tours from Killarney, Cork, Limerick and Galway are covered in these Trip Reports, using train, bus and local day tours, in various and sundry combinations to get around Ireland:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k67126…

8. Re: Base location for touring

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2015, 05:21