We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It is a little overwhelming.. hotel help!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
It is a little overwhelming.. hotel help!

I am tagging along with a friend to Ireland, wohoo.. she had a great rate at the Moldron Tallgaht , but because she had to change room to 2 singles, she lost her great rate, and now we are paying about $150 candian a nite. We also were going to rent a car, but now rethinking that, because we are told, NO do not drive in Dublin lol.We are renting one for a few day because we are going to Cork, Limerick and Galway.

So we are looking for a nice hotel closer to town, that we can take a shuttle to from the airport, and also be closer to take the tours that are based leaving from town.Going July 22nd to August 1

Is it very $$ to take a cab to our hotel in Tallaght?

I know the Luas runs close to the hotel, but it starts at 530 am, and one of our tours leaves at 630 am, so might be cutting it close.

Any help would be much appreciated, it is very overwhelming, thinking you find something, and then learn there is nothing around it, or not a good area .Thank you.

Apache Junction...
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: It is a little overwhelming.. hotel help!

I've been planning a trip to Ireland with the family and we have found some great rates at opodo.com I hope this helps you! Don't know about the rest you asked sorry

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,099 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: It is a little overwhelming.. hotel help!

Would you consider a B&B or guesthouse in the Drumcondra or Glasnevin areas between the airport and city centre, with good public transport options?

Examples:

http://www.eganshouse.com

https://avoca-house.ie

If you were prepared to up your price for the Dublin part of your accommodation (better range of prices elsewhere),

you could book a single in a city city hotel with Advance payment option for Euro 72 per single room per night, for example, without breakfast.

Your CAN $ 150 is roughly Euro 65.

http://www.ocallaghanhotels.com

buswells.ie/index.cfm/…specialoffers.htm

With the hotels, you would be within walking distance of everything in the city centre:

http://www.vidiani.com/?p=15885

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,624 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: It is a little overwhelming.. hotel help!

"Going July 22nd to August 1"

Just to clarify, that's the whole trip, including the nights in Cork, Limerick and Galway? Or are you in Dublin for that whole time? I recall on your other thread you said you were in town for the Garth Brooks concert, which will make hotel prices go through the roof.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: It is a little overwhelming.. hotel help!

Yes I realize prices are high because of concert.

Now we are thinking of staying at Metro hotel at airport.

Does anyone know how easy it is to get from there to city..it is on bus transit.

Would we have to take cab to Corke Park?

Yes Irish..we are renting a car and going to cork, limerick, Galwat, and taking our time with stops on the way.

Thanks so much for help. I did look into the places but no vacancy or toooo much money.

Edited: 21 February 2014, 18:10
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,624 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: It is a little overwhelming.. hotel help!

I'll let the locals weigh in, but it's not a location I'd pick for a tourist. Not this tourist, anyway. Maybe for a one-nighter before flying out in the morning, but not as a base for touring Dublin.

Metro Hotel Dublin Airport

Santry Cross, Ballymun Road Dublin 9

I think the best way to get your best advice is to post the exact dates you're looking for, along with a budget in euros per night. Otherwise it's a lot of guesswork involved for all concerned.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: It is a little overwhelming.. hotel help!

Thanks Irish. I did ask a few other questions, hopefully we will figure it out lol

I dont want to spend all my time on a bus.

Wish our dollar wasn't so bad in Ireland lol.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: It is a little overwhelming.. hotel help!

Have a look at B&B's too. We've booked at anchor house in central Dublin which appears to be mostly walking distance to get sorted for tours etc. we're going in may for three Weeks so can let you know how it is.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: It is a little overwhelming.. hotel help!

Thanks Proud... I don't think my friend wants to stay in B and B's, so I think we are sticking with the Moldron Tallaght.

Dublin
Level Contributor
32 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: It is a little overwhelming.. hotel help!

Hi Justmarried02!

I stayed in the Maldron Tallaght before and it's a really nice hotel. But I will be perfectly honest with you...you are in the middle of the suburbs there. However, I know how hard it's going to be to get a hotel in the city during the Garth Brooks concerts.

What date are you going to the concert?. Perhaps you could stay one night in the Maldron & go to the concert...then drive off to explore the other places and finally, come back to the city centre for the last couple of days of the trip?.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: It is a little overwhelming.. hotel help!

I'd certainly favour a city centre hotel over one in the suburbs, or worse, near the airport. If you want to experience Dublin, I think you really ought to be in the middle of it. Even if it means spending the extra €, it'll make it a much nicer experience (e.g. not wasting loads of time on a bus).

I've recently stayed at the Morrison (great hotel, excellent location), and previously at the Mespil Hotel - which was also good, though a bit further out of the centre, but certainly still walkable.