We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting fro Dunlaoghaire Ireland to London by ferry and rail

Seattle
Level Contributor
236 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Getting fro Dunlaoghaire Ireland to London by ferry and rail

I want to take the high speed ferry from Dunlaoghaire, Ireland across the Irish Sea and then take the train to London. I realize this is going to be more expensive than flying on Ryan Air from Dublin to London. My thinking is that I will be able to see a great deal of the country plus enjoy the ferry crossing. I am wondering if I am making a mistake going to all this effort when the air service would be much easier and quicker.

At one point, I read about a rail/ferry package but since then I have not seen anything on the internet shows this is still available.

Does anyone have any information or advise on this. It will entail us getting from Tralee to Dunloaghaire which might be another added burden. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mona

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin, Agadir
Level Contributor
4,817 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting fro Dunlaoghaire Ireland to London by ferry and rail

Did you know that you can also fly from Kerry to London (2 airports) with Ryanair also?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,801 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting fro Dunlaoghaire Ireland to London by ferry and rail

If you're in Tralee and you want to go to London, then it will take about 36 hours with a night in Dublin. You will need to be in Dun Laoghaire for an early morning high speed ferry and you will not get to London until that afternoon.

To be honest, if I had that much time to spend I'd fly to London from Kerry International Airport and take the train from London to Paris for a day.

The ferry is nice on a good day, not so nice on a rough day. Horrible on a very rough day. The channel tunnel is fascinating.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,549 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting fro Dunlaoghaire Ireland to London by ferry and rail

That seasonal route runs once daily at 13.30 between April and September.

I'd take the Swift from Dublin Port if I were you.

www.irishferries.com/

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,801 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting fro Dunlaoghaire Ireland to London by ferry and rail

You can fly Ryanair from Kerry International to Luton during the winter. Similarly you can fly Ryanair from Kerry to London Stanstead.

Seattle
Level Contributor
236 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting fro Dunlaoghaire Ireland to London by ferry and rail

Thank you all very much for the good advise. It was not what I wanted to hear from I think everyone made it very clear that I was making it difficult for myself. You are all so great and I am so thankful for the advise. I failed to mention that it would be the beginning of Oct so it would probably be even more difficult to make the rail/ferry crossing.

Mona

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,549 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting fro Dunlaoghaire Ireland to London by ferry and rail

No problem to make the journey, just not from Dun Laoghaire.

www.seat61.com/

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting fro Dunlaoghaire Ireland to London by ferry and rail

Stena Explorer is seasonal so starts April this year maybe earlier (they brought sailings forwards last year I went over in March). To Be honest if you have any amount of baggage Sail and Rail will probably be cheaper than flying, especially when you throw in fares from Luton or Stansted into London, If Flying Shannon or Cork make more sense.

The problem is that you would have to catch the 7am train from Tralee to Dublin, cross Dublin and drop to Dun Laoghaire ferry to Holyhead then train to London Euston getting in just after 9pm,,

If that's the option you want that's the time frame. not sure of the fare from Tralee to Dun Laoghaire but the ferry fare can be found on :

www.stenaline.ie/ferries-to-britain/rail-sail remember to add €6.

edit---

The Explorer only runs until 9th September so that route is a non starter anyway

Edited: 22 February 2014, 21:34
Seattle
Level Contributor
236 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting fro Dunlaoghaire Ireland to London by ferry and rail

Again,

Thanks to everyone for helping me understand what I was getting into. I checked the Arlines from Kerry Airport to London and this should be a very easy trip. Now, I just need to figure out how heavy our suitcases will be in KG so I don't go over the allowable. Challenges one way or another but this will be a minor one. Thanks again , Mona

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting fro Dunlaoghaire Ireland to London by ferry and rail

Or you could go to Rosslare (by bus) www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1376666737-040.pdf - Tralee to Rosslare - and travel across south wales to London.

I would be more inclined to fly, but if you want to do the overland/sea trip that is another possibility.

Ireland
Level Contributor
580 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting fro Dunlaoghaire Ireland to London by ferry and rail

The SailRail journey works well and is a good way to relax and see the countries. Ferries and trains have many facility these days and it is far from being an ordeal.

You could leave Tralee at 09.05, catch the 14.30 hours Irish Ferries fast ferry sailing, arriving Holyhead 18.40 and into London Euston around 21.40hrs. There's a shuttle bus from Heuston station to the port. In the event of the 14.30 fast ferry being cancelled there is a cruise ferry around the same time which passengers will be transferred onto.

The whole journey can be booked on the Irish Ferries website. Just select SailRail to Britain in the first drop down menu you see on the left. €75 total fare. Times can be checked on Irish Rail.ie and Nationalrail.co.uk

You can also buy the ticket ahead of time from Irish Rail in Tralee station.

SailRail brings you from town/city centre to town/city whereas air travel is usually out of town/city airport to out of town/city airport. When travel to/from the airport at both ends and baggage is factored in the air fare may well be dearer.

However you decide to travel I hope you have an enjoyable journey.

I would second the previous post, the route from Rosslare to London has an integrated sea-rail timetable and works very well. It's just a pity the Irish part of it has to be by bus.

Edited: 22 February 2014, 23:12