We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

17 Day Trip to London/Edinburgh/Dublin HELP!!!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
71 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
17 Day Trip to London/Edinburgh/Dublin HELP!!!!

My husband (38 y/o) and I (32 y/o) will be traveling to London, Edinburgh and Dublin for 17 days in the last week of March through early April. In London, we will be staying with family members in Gillingham Kent so we will be taking the train back and forth to London and driving to Bath and Stonehenge. In Edinburgh, we will be staying at Jury's Inn next to Waverly Train station and in Dublin, we will be staying at Blooms Hotel in the Temple Bar area. We will not have a car in Dublin.

We are also thinking of doing a day trip to Brussels from London. We are not sure if this is worth a day trip OR save it for another European vacation.

We need your help and suggestions with our itinerary. Many many thanks! :)

Here's what our itinerary looks like:

Day 1: Flight from US to London - Arrive London

Day 2: Arrive London - get settled and rest due to jet lag

Day 3: Bath and Stonehenge

Day 4: London

Day 5: Windsor

Day 6: London

Day 7: Edinburgh

Day 8: Edinburgh and the countryside (Stirling Castle and Whiskey Tour)

Day 9: Flight back to London early @ 6:00AM; for the rest of the day, just hang out in London

Day 10: Cambridge

Day 11: Day Trip to Brussels

Day 12: Flight to Dublin from London early @ 8:00am/ hang out in Dublin for the rest of the day

Day 13: Dublin

Day 14: Day Trip to Galway from Dublin

Day 15: Day Trip to Belfast from Dublin

Day 16: Glendadough/Mt. Wicklow

Day 17: Flight from Dublin back to US (early 6am flight)

Any suggestions/comments/ideas is appreciated. Thank you so much!

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 17 Day Trip to London/Edinburgh/Dublin HELP!!!!

Why go back to London from Edinburgh? you just lose another day in travelling, fly to London, do all the London based stuff, then train up to Edinburgh, then fly to Dublin.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
162 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 17 Day Trip to London/Edinburgh/Dublin HELP!!!!

If you haven't already booked your flight from London, I'd agree with above poster and "do" London and south first, then Edinburgh, then fly from there to Dublin.

Just as an FYI there's no need to go into London from Gillingham to take the train to Brussels, you can get a train to Ebbsfleet (only 26 minutes) then get on the Eurostar there.

Have a great trip.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
71 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 17 Day Trip to London/Edinburgh/Dublin HELP!!!!

Thank you all for the comments, suggestions and tips. :) Really helpful and insightful. I really really appreciate them.

To be honest, I completely "overlooked" the option to fly out from Edinburgh to Dublin. I guess I was thinking about our luggages (since I don't want to haul luggages back and forth on short flights) and the fact that our family in Gillingham will be sending us an extra luggage (at their own expense) to take back to the US for family members. We have a huge extended family and they want to send stuff to everyone here. Hahaha! Unfortunately, we have already booked our flight from London Gatwick to Dublin via AerLingus. I guess, we just have to work around it. :( Our family from Gillingham will drive us to London Gatwick, so we don't have to take the train and take up more time.

Yes, the day trip to Brussels might have to take a back seat for now and save it for another trip.

Any recommendations on restaurants and bars in Dublin? My husband and I would love to try local Irish cuisines and delicacies. We are open to anything and would like to explore anything related to food. :)

Also, any suggestions on tour companies for the Galway and Belfast day trips?

Many thanks!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
8,576 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 17 Day Trip to London/Edinburgh/Dublin HELP!!!!

Be careful with your luggage allowance on the LGW- Dub leg the allowance will be less than the transatlantic flights......the excess charge could be quite significant if you are bringing a lots of baggage over.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
71 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 17 Day Trip to London/Edinburgh/Dublin HELP!!!!

Thank you dubfam for the heads up.

We only have one extra check in luggage.

6. Re: 17 Day Trip to London/Edinburgh/Dublin HELP!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 06:23