We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How easy is it to "DART"?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
How easy is it to "DART"?

Coming from the North next Saturday for the rugby, and thinking of parking in Howth or similar and DARTing to Lansdowne Road. With it being match day, do you think many others will be doing the same thing, and will there be availability on the trains? Should we pre-book? How long before kick-off should we be planning to leave Howth? Thanks, in anticipation.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,987 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How easy is it to "DART"?

You shouldn't have any problems in howth. The Dart will start to get really busy from city centre on. Personally I would leave 90 minutes before kick off but I always err on the side of caution so that will give you loads of time.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How easy is it to "DART"?

As you are coming from the North, I would recommend that you use Malahide station, where there is all day parking at the station - €4.00 I think for the day. If that was full, then you could go on to Portmarnock station, where there is a much bigger parking facility, and at the same cost, or alternatively, if you don't mind a 10 minute walk back to Malahide station, there is parking all day for €2.00, just beyond the Grand Hotel - it is clearly marked that it is for all day parking. The DART will take about about 30 minutes to get to Lansdowne Rd. station. No point in pre-booking. DART timetable - journeyplanner.irishrail.ie/bin/query.exe/en…

There should be little problem getting the DART at either Malahide or Portmarnock - it is the return journey from the Aviva stadium that you will have difficulty along with the million others who also want to get the DART home. I suggest that you buy a return ticket at Malahide or Portmarnock, as it will save you a bit of queing after the match

Edited: 28 February 2014, 20:14
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,044 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How easy is it to "DART"?

Most people will board the dart in Conolly, Tara or Pearse so you should be fine in Malahide or Howth.

On www.irishrail.ie you will be able to see the regular schedule and more train should be added to cater for the large crowd. I usually try and aim for a train that gets to Lansdowne 60 to 90 minutes before kick off.

Please note that after the game the Grand Canal Dock station is usually closed. Special trains leave from Lansdowne going north and south when they are full, then normal schedule resumes

Buying a return before going is a great idea and saves time.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
102 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How easy is it to "DART"?

Hi,

the advise you recieved is spot on. If coming in from the North Malahide is best. However Howth is a lovely fishing village to enjoy perhaps after the game. You will have no issues getting a seat at either station and as advised it will be standing room only from Connelly Station onwards. You'll be fine...I just wish I had tickets !!!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How easy is it to "DART"?

Great - thanks everyone for your help / advice. Much appreciated.

6. Re: How easy is it to "DART"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 06:16