We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz Car Rental at Dublin Airport

new jersey
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hertz Car Rental at Dublin Airport

Hi,

Arriving at around 7 a.m. from flight from JFK to Dublin, is 9 a.m. a good time for the car rental pick up? I know there is always a possibility of airline delays and getting baggage, so my question is if we arrive at the Hertz counter earlier than 9 a.m. will we have to wait till 9 a.m. to get our car. Also, it is hard to estimate the car rental drop off time the night before our flight as we will be travelling back to Dublin from Killarney with stops to Blarney Castle and maybe Rock of Cashel. I put a 7 p.m. return but probably will get back to Dublin Airport much earlier because we plan to leave Killarney around 7:30 a.m. to be at Blarney Castle when it opens. Again, is that going to be a problem if the drop off time is wrong at the Hertz car rental counter?

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
58,894 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hertz Car Rental at Dublin Airport

Shouldn't be a problem on either end. The rental car staff are used to people turning up in sync with the arrival times of the overseas flights and they'll get things sorted out whether you arrive at 8:00 or 9:15 or whatever. Just make sure you don't make that rookie mistake of booking the car for the day before. :)

For the drop off, yes, put in a time well after your expected arrival. You're going to likely be charged for the full day anyway so it shouldn't matter.

new jersey
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hertz Car Rental at Dublin Airport

Thanks so much. I really appreciated your help.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
15,743 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hertz Car Rental at Dublin Airport

No problem since you are not squeezing the last minute out of your rental. Put 08:00 as your collection time and write in the flight number (usually asked for). Your time starts when you pick up the car. For return time enter the same time 08:00 for the morning after your expected evening departure, there are no costs for an early return and no savings for less than a whole day.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hertz Car Rental at Dublin Airport

I booked my recent car rental to start at 1100 which was nearly 2 hours after my flight was due to arrive but they allowed me to collect the car approx. 1 1/2 hours early without any extra charge. This was a huge bonus to me as I had a journey of about 140 miles (approximately 225 km) so I was able to get clear of the Dublin area fairly quickly. Hope you enjoy your stay, outside of the towns and cities driving is an absolute pleasure in Ireland although please be aware that on most motorways you have to pay a toll.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
23,043 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hertz Car Rental at Dublin Airport

if a car is ready, the rental companies do not mind an early collection as it frees their staff up inevent of a rush at your original time.

as you say, some of our motorways have tolls, but most dont. but i hope that you realised that the ring motorway around dublin (m50) has an electronic toll only. if you were driving south from airport, you could have passed this without realising, but if you did pass it, i hope that you knew to pay the toll at one of the many shops or garages. otherwise you may be getting a bill from the rental company.

Edited: 03 October 2014, 19:42
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hertz Car Rental at Dublin Airport

Having the opportunity to pay the M50 toll by 8pm the following day was very handy. I had checked online regarding the availability of Payzone outlets both in Galway (my main destination) and Dublin Airport (prior to my flight home). I paid for my outward journey at a local petrol station on arrival in Galway, and my return was paid at the Spar shop in the arrivals hall at Dublin Airport after I had returned the hire car.

I also got a free upgrade with my rental.

Edited: 14 November 2014, 21:50
Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,968 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hertz Car Rental at Dublin Airport

If renting from HERTZ do not pay the M50 toll.. Their cars are tagged and you will be billed a few days after you return the car..

https:/…

Be more careful of the time you return their cars, as they Will charge a full days rental for a few minutes late return..

8. Re: Hertz Car Rental at Dublin Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 11:35
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
23,043 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hertz Car Rental at Dublin Airport

you posted this on another thread too. you did not read the t and c adequately even though you signed as having read them. when a cc insurance is accepted as being valid in ireland, there is an admin charge. nothing unusual .

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
23,043 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hertz Car Rental at Dublin Airport

this appears to be spam. the same comment is on another thread supposedly posted by a bobby from ottawa!