We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City Centre or Dublin Airport for car pick up?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
240 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
City Centre or Dublin Airport for car pick up?

Hubby concerned about driving in Dublin. We are arriving, staying in Dublin- St. Stephen's Green area, then to Kilkenny. Not picking up car until the day we are leaving - is driving out of Dublin City Centre going to be okay, or should we just travel up to the airport, then down to Kilkenny?

dublin
Level Contributor
131 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: City Centre or Dublin Airport for car pick up?

Hi - do not be concerned at all.

Firstly can't tell where you are coming from so is right side steering new to you? Left side of road driving new to you?

Always good idea to jump on aircoach from airport, come and stay in Dublin and then get your hired car when you are ready to leave - plenty of options to pick up your car in Dublin City Centre. From here you can easily drive along the river Liffey and about 3 miles from city center you hit the motor way where it's pretty much straight going from there. Enjoy Dublin without a car, no need.

Have a great time.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,676 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City Centre or Dublin Airport for car pick up?

We picked up our car from Hertz on South Circular Rd and didn't find driving out of Dublin from there dreadful at all.

Level Contributor
240 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City Centre or Dublin Airport for car pick up?

Thank you! Driving on the left of the road and right of the car is new to him. We are from the United States. We definitely aren't going to get the car for our time in Dublin. We were thinking after Dublin going back to the airport to pick it up, so he wouldn't have to drive in Dublin. After your responses, I think we'll just pick it up in Dublin. Sounds easy enough to get to the motorway after we pick it up. Thank you again for your help.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,612 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City Centre or Dublin Airport for car pick up?

I too picked mine up in city centre, since I was heading south. 10 min and I was on ring road. Very easy!.Perhaps wait until 9 30 to avoid extreme morning rush

Canada
Level Contributor
4,612 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City Centre or Dublin Airport for car pick up?

I too picked mine up in city centre, since I was heading south. 10 min and I was on ring road. Very easy!.Perhaps wait until 9 30 to avoid extreme morning rush

Edited: 16 March 2014, 01:30
6. Re: City Centre or Dublin Airport for car pick up?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 13:19