We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Cong from Dublin-- Tour company or on own?

Alexandria, Virginia
2 posts
Save Topic
Day Trip to Cong from Dublin-- Tour company or on own?

My father and I are traveling to London and Dublin this summer. He is especially interested in Ireland and also mentioned wanting to see Cong (Quiet Man fan). I just recently found this tour.

getyourguide.com/dublin-l31/…text-details

Anyone have any experience with them? Or do you think we should try to do it on our own?

I want to make sure he gets to see some of the locations. Thanks!

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Dublin
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Wild Rover Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Collins Day Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
Irish Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,860 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Cong from Dublin-- Tour company or on own?

Depends on your Whole Itinerary but a 7am to 9pm round trip is a lot of nothing time for very little something time.. Connemara from Galway by car great, as a coach trip from Galway. OK but like instant coffee looks the part but lacks flavour.

If you have a car and a couple of days then there is a little bit more than Cong to see http://goo.gl/maps/L5ihu

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,705 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Cong from Dublin-- Tour company or on own?

I wouldnt attempt Dublin to Cong in one day as a self drive trip, its too far. Professional coach drivers can do it because its their job and they arent interested in looking at scenery, just getting you there. Its a long time on a coach. Could you hire a car and have a couple of nights in Galway?

Edited: 17 March 2014, 07:50
Alexandria, Virginia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Cong from Dublin-- Tour company or on own?

We weren't thinking about getting a car. Should I maybe look at getting a car? We haven't booked a hotel in Dublin yet. Maybe we should get out to Galway and spend a night there with a Cong day trip before going back to London? My dad just mentioned it was something he'd like to do so I'd like to try to make it happen. I honestly don't have much of an itinerary yet for Ireland besides flying into and out of Dublin.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,860 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Cong from Dublin-- Tour company or on own?

If flying from London to Ireland consider flying into Knock which would have you handy for north Connemara start there instead of Dublin and get some of Ireland under your belt.

5. Re: Day Trip to Cong from Dublin-- Tour company or on own?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 05:17