We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route me around downtown Dublin....please

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Frenchburg, Kentucky
Level Contributor
2 posts
299 reviews
Save Topic
Route me around downtown Dublin....please

I am looking for the best way to get from the airport in Dublin Ireland to Glendalough by taking the Military Road, R115. I want to avoid the toll roads and do not want to drive in downtown Dublin since this will be our first time driving on the left. I don't really car where I connect with R115 as long as its above the Glenmacnass waterfall.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Route me around downtown Dublin....please

Why avoid the toll road? If you do that then you'll have to drive through Dublin which will take far longer.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Route me around downtown Dublin....please

Take the M50, the €3 toll is money well spent. It's either that or drive through the city centre

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route me around downtown Dublin....please

My advice would be to stay on the M50 then on to the N11 (continuation) as far as Kilmacanogue. Drive along the R755 passing the Sugar Loaf mountain. On your way back take the military road from Laragh.

visitwicklow.ie/towns-villages/kilmacanogue/

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
40 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route me around downtown Dublin....please

Like others say, the m50 was built for this trip and is so easy to access leaving the airport.

It is a barrier free toll so just remember to pay it before 8pm the next day (www.eflow.ie) , the other tolls you will have to throw money in a bucket.

dublin
Level Contributor
131 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route me around downtown Dublin....please

Heed this good advice in posts above. You are far safer on the major roads in Ireland. You can expect speeding vehicles, pot holes, windy roads which gives you poor visibility. Arrive alive!*

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route me around downtown Dublin....please

Having once taken an hour and a half to find our way out of Dublin we think the €3 toll is well worth it

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,104 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route me around downtown Dublin....please

If you are hiring a car it's likely that the car hire co. will just charge you the tolls, ask them about their policy.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route me around downtown Dublin....please

Here's how easy it is to get from the airport to the M50 - http://youtu.be/U6OcSFcI1z4

9. Re: Route me around downtown Dublin....please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 07:15