We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Dublin to Galway

Santa Paula...
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Dublin to Galway

My daughter s and I are spending 2 nights in Dublin then heading for Galway, is it possible to tour Newgrange and Tara on the way there without getting to Galway very late?

360 Ireland Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Touristy
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Panoramic Ireland
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Photography Tours
Dublin
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Dublin to Galway

It is possible, but you are not taking a direct route to Galway - http://goo.gl/maps/RWHlm

If you opt to go to Newgrange, I would suggest that you leave Dublin reasonably early, so that you are in Newgrange no later than 10.00AM, so that you will not have to wait too long to get on a guided tour, which is the only way that you are allowed to visit Newgrange - and you cannot pre-book tickets. It will take you 50/60 minutes to get to Newgrange from Dublin (depending on where you are staying in Dublin), and you should allow two or three hours for Newgrange. So depending on how quickly you can get on a tour in Newgrange, let's assume that you are finished there by 2.30PM, then you should arrive in Galway about 5.00PM. Now, if you want to do the Hill of Tara as well, then you will be quite late arriving in Galway. Personally, I would choose Nerwgrange over the Hill of Tara

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Dublin to Galway

That would be a 4 hour trip non stop

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,993 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Dublin to Galway

Assuming you will be up north of the city collecting a hire car from the Airport then you are on the way there to start with. Depends what you call very late.. 7pm is not very late in Irish terms but let your accommodation know..

4. Re: Driving from Dublin to Galway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2015, 06:15