We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin Hotel - Temple Bar OR O'Connell street area

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin Hotel - Temple Bar OR O'Connell street area

Hello All,

My wife and I are traveling to Dublin for two nights in May and looking to book a hotel for our stay. We're looking for a place in the mid tier, 3 star range walkable to all the major attractions and have it narrowed down to a place in the Temple Bar district or north area near O'Connell Street. Which would you recommend given your experience? What is the "flavor" of each area and are the main sites (Trinity, St Patrick's, etc) easily walkable from the O'Connell hotels?

Our budget is around 75-125 Euro a night. We plan to be out and about most of the time, so a simple, clean place with some charm is all we really need. It looks like both areas have plenty of restaurants and pubs nearby. What are the main factors that differentiate the two areas as a base of operations and hotel area?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Jim

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,871 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin Hotel - Temple Bar OR O'Connell street area

Hi Jim

Welcome to the Dublin forum!

They are both close - the river Liffey separates them....Dublin city centre is so compact and everywhere is within walking distance of lots of good restaurants and pubs. Put your dates into be of the booking sites and see what comes up within your budget - we can help you decide re location then.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin Hotel - Temple Bar OR O'Connell street area

Thanks dubfam. We're coming in May 11th and staying two nights. Based on my searches several places have availability in our price range. A few that came up that seem to have good reviews (from what I've seen so far) are:

Temple bar: Paramont, Central Hotel

O'Connell: Cassidy's, Arlington O'Connell bridge

I'm open to additional suggestions as well. Figured if I could narrow down the area, the search would be a little easier...

Thanks, Jim

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,549 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin Hotel - Temple Bar OR O'Connell street area

Either of these two would fit the bill.

www.centralhoteldublin.com/

www.arlington.ie/

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin, Agadir
Level Contributor
4,817 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin Hotel - Temple Bar OR O'Connell street area

Jim, as dubfam has already stated, Dublin is so compact and there is probably only about 20 minutes walk from your furthest hotel to all the other three. All the hotels you mention are in prime city centre locations with the Arlington overlooking the river (if you can get a room with the view). The Arlington is very popular (and noisy) as it has a regular crowd with lots of tourists also as it has a nightly 'Riverdance' type show on. It's only a five minute stroll across the bridge to Temple Bar, while Cassidy's is a five minute stroll in the opposite direction up O'Connell Street. The Paramount is at one end of Temple Bar while The Central is 3 streets (blocks to you) north of temple bar (but they are only small blocks). So, if that hasn't confused you even more, all your hotels are situated fine. :)

Edited: 05 April 2014, 23:08
Southern California
Level Contributor
118 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin Hotel - Temple Bar OR O'Connell street area

My trip is coming in a few weeks, and I booked a good deal with the Arlington temple bar that includes breakfast if you book directly from their website. After reading many reviews, I feel good with my choice, as the location is great & the airport shuttle drops you right across the street, as well as the hop on hop off bus.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin Hotel - Temple Bar OR O'Connell street area

Thanks everyone!...booked the Arlington O'Connell bridge for our Dublin stay. Appreciate the help.

7. Re: Dublin Hotel - Temple Bar OR O'Connell street area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2015, 06:16