We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin vs Amsterdam vs London vs Paris vs Athens

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,505 posts
523 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin vs Amsterdam vs London vs Paris vs Athens

Probably would be a year away, but starting to think of where to go next in Europe. I have gone to Berlin, Munich, Istanbul, Rome, Pompeii, Sorrento, Capri and trying to figure out where to go next. I like History mainly, but willing to pick somewhere that is more just outdoor fun without seeing a lot of museums. If we pick Dublin we would like to go to Belfast for a day to do the Titanic exhibition. Any ideas on how many days to spend in Dublin? I hear Grafton Street and Temple Bar are must do's.

We could very well choose a few of those cities above, but just in case we can only do one of them for a 5-6 day trip, which would you recommend?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
325 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin vs Amsterdam vs London vs Paris vs Athens

Personally haven't travelled much, but just to give my tuppence on Dublin.

It really depends on what you want. Dublin itself shows a lot of the country's history through National Museums such as Collins Baaracks[which in my opinion are worth it], but of course because Ireland's so small, it's also very easy to do day trips of different parts of the country, while based in Dublin. Things like this would be Newgrane, Cliffs of Moher etc. budget permitting. These are great to get out and do like you said you like to do, and you'd really see a lot of the country, rather than just Dublin. A lot of companies run day trips that depart from Dublin via a coach, and that will bring you back to Dublin at the end of the day, where you can soak up the culture of the city in the evenings

But I'm really not sure what sort of answer you're looking for. Hope I've helped somewhat..

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin vs Amsterdam vs London vs Paris vs Athens

I've been in all of these cities. Go for London and Paris and forget the others. Grafton Street is a shopping street and Temple Bar is an area that is full of bars and revellers. You don't even have to fly between London and Paris, you can connect via the Eurostar train.

Hays, Kansas
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin vs Amsterdam vs London vs Paris vs Athens

It really does depend on what you want. The sights and environs of London, Paris, and Athens would fill a 5-6 day trip easily (with maybe a day trip to a nearby interest like Stonehedge, Bath, Versailles, etc.). Even then, you are not going to be able to see or do everything you might want in those cities. Dublin is very different. It has less must see sights, and most of those sights are very centralized in easy walking distance or a short bus ride of each other. I find it much more laid back as well. I just spent a leisurely nine days in Ireland (6 with a car): 3 days Dublin, 2 days Meath and Louth Counties (multiple historic sites close together), 1 day Down County in Northern Ireland (hiking), and 3 days Causeway Coastal Route (historical sights, short hikes, and scenic drives). There is much you can do and see throughout Ireland in the time you are talking about, but if you want the feel of Rome, Berlin, or Istanbul, you are not going to get it Dublin.

Edited: 06 April 2014, 06:14
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,505 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin vs Amsterdam vs London vs Paris vs Athens

I think if we decided to go late in the year this year we would only have 7-8 days total. I was thinking 1 day in Belfast, 4 days in Dublin and possibly 3 days in another city. Not sure if that other city would be Amsterdam, Lisbon, Paris, London or Edinburgh (not sure if Edinburgh is better to visit or Glasgow). I would like to see them all but due to money and of course time I wouldn't be able to, so would have to figure on picking a place there are only a few things that I would be interested in seeing. Probably would chose Amsterdam or Edinburgh since they are fairly close and not as big.

Rhodes, Greece
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin vs Amsterdam vs London vs Paris vs Athens

Can only tell my opinion about Athens and London. If you like history, sightseeing and nightlife, then your best choice would be Athens. If you like shopping and prefer to walk among sites of interest instead of using public transport or a rental, then your choice is London. Also London has a better urban environment than Athens, however Athens produces a better (probably more relaxed) feeling to the tourist somehow. I would go to Athens in Spring and Summer and in London in Autumn and Winter, especially Christmas.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin vs Amsterdam vs London vs Paris vs Athens

Edinburgh is lovely. Probably my favourite UK City.

You just can't compare London with Dublin. London is one of the World's great cities.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,505 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin vs Amsterdam vs London vs Paris vs Athens

I think we will chose both Dublin and Amsterdam for now if we make it this year mainly because I would lose the vacation time. Thinking 4 days in Dublin with 1 of those days in Belfast (just for the Titanic) and 2 Days in Amsterdam (really only 3 things I want to see in Amsterdam)

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,646 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin vs Amsterdam vs London vs Paris vs Athens

So much to see in Ireland, so why just stick to Dublin? 7 days, means 6 nights, with 2 days of travelling, really means only 5 productive days - travell to Amsterdam and you are losing 1 of these to travel again.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,505 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin vs Amsterdam vs London vs Paris vs Athens

"travell to Amsterdam and you are losing 1 of these to travel again"

Not if flying from Dublin. It is less than a 2 hour flight. You leave 7 or 8 am in the morning then by 10 you are there. Say noon to your hotel, you still pretty much have the rest of the day.

10. Re: Dublin vs Amsterdam vs London vs Paris vs Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 05:15