We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel on DART trains

New Jersey
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel on DART trains

My husband and I will be in Dublin for 8 days in the beginning of October. During that time we hope to visit many of the villages along the coast to the north and south of the city. We plan to buy a weekly pass for the DART for its convenience and savings. Many of the guides that I have read seem to imply that you cannot go from one village to another on the train but, instead, have to return to the city center to go to the second town etc. Can this be possible?

Would love to hear your feedback on this and any other info on clothing,events etc for this time of year.

england
Level Contributor
100 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel on DART trains

Check out website http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/dart/home/

The DART runs a few different lines all into 3 central Dublin stations Connelly/Tara/Pearse.

The main costal line runs Howth (north) to Greystones (south)

You can stop at any station along the route, providing ticket is valid.

Highly recommend Malahide, Killiney and Dalkey (last two are where alot of celebs live ie: Bono from U2)

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel on DART trains

As long as you have a valid pass you can get on and off where ever you want

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel on DART trains

For clothing I would say bring a mix of shorts/tshirts and long pants/jumpers. It probably will still be warm for here 15-20 deg C. but make sure yo ubring a water proff coat/jacket and hat as it will probably rain at somestage.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
653 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel on DART trains

jerseyretiree...we were just in Dublin in July for 3 days. We bought a 3 day bus/dart ticket which was well worth the money. We culd get on and off the DART and busses as we pleased. Never had a problem. It was very easy once we figured out how to read the schedules!!! Just make sure you get on one going the right direction. Have fun.

Hull .East...
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel on DART trains

Hi

Just returned from Dublin. We hard DART ticket and travelled out of town for a couple of days useing the DART. Got on and off as we wanted. No problems at all. Stunning scenery........especially Howth,Dalkey and Malahide.......Also met some great quirky local people. Didnt encounter too many tourists which was great !!!!!!!

Hope you enjoy

Regards Tania

Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel on DART trains

Check out http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/dart/home/ for a map of the rail route.

I am not sure what you mean by having to return to the city centre before travelling out to the coast again, but that is not correct, you can travel between the coastal towns without having to return to the City Centre.

Get the pass which allows you to go as far as Drogheda and Arklow on the Commuter Trains, rather than just the DART(Electric Trains) as there are some pleasant journeys and sights further out for you to see in your 8 days

If you are able, the walk from Bray to Greystones along the cliff walk is pleasant, and yo can catch the DART back in Greystones. it is 5 miles on a steep path though so you might not wish to do it.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel on DART trains

Thanks so much to all of you. I'm glad that i did misunderstand the guides--looking forward to seeing the sights you've recommended.

Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel on DART trains

The train travels along the coast from Sandycove to Killiney - very wealthy suburb, and from Bray to Wicklow vis Greystones. Greystones is nice for a beach walk and if you venture as far as Rathdrum, if you have time (there are only 5 trains daily) there is Avondale House and Forest Park, altohugh it is a 2-3 miles from the station

North of the city is Howth Peninsula which is quite scenic, Malahide Castle, Newbridge House - Near Donabate, Ardgillan Castle - between Balbriggan and Skerries. Haven't been to any of them in years but look up some info on them before you go

Best of luck with your trip

9. Re: Travel on DART trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 07:19