We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Southern Ireland

Liverpool
Level Contributor
131 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Southern Ireland

Three of us (in our fifties early sixties-young at heart! ) are travelling to Southern Ireland for 4/5 nights in August. We are planning to catch ferry from Holyhead-Dublin and stay in a cottage/appartment. Can anybody advise which would be a good place to say. We like walking, nice food, things to see/do etc. My research so far is suggesting Clonakilty, Wicklow or Kerry. Grateful for any suggestions please-we will have a car for travelling around.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,285 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Southern Ireland

with this short a timespan I would suggest staying in Wicklow, its a lovely area, lots of walking, gardens etc.

you'll be back !!!

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,688 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Southern Ireland

Head for Connemara and Galway city

see.......Youtube " AT YOUR SERVICE PART 1 "

followed by PART 2 and PART 3

enjoy.

P.S. Use Google MAPS too see / build your intended route.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,285 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Southern Ireland

If you have your own car you could sail from Liverpool.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Southern Ireland

Wicklow is in the east. Cork and Kerry are probably the main tourist destinations in the south. If you have your own car you could probably spend 2-3 days in 2 different locations and have a great time

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Southern Ireland

The problem you might start with is that most accommodation let's Saturday to Saturday. If you are aiming for the west coast you have the best part of 12 hours travelling just getting over here.. Might be an Idea to just go for the tour round option rather than a set base?

To and From Southport I could sail from Liverpool but don't.. too long a sailing and too expensive (usually)

Edited: 14 April 2014, 13:43
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,484 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Southern Ireland

Dunmore East in Co Waterford is lovely.

http://www.discoverdunmore.com/tourism/web

And its near to Waterford City and Hook Head Lighthouse (oldest working lighthouse in the world - really good to visit). Its also close enough to Kilkenny and Cork for day trips.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,567 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Southern Ireland

Wicklow is good for that time frame.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,698 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Southern Ireland

Imagine Ireland allowed me to be flexible (yes I know I always back them, but I have done atypical holidays with them, ie Sunday to Wednesday (not the next one afterwards but the one after) for more time.

The first area I ever stayed in Ireland was County Waterford and explored Hook head, New Ross etc,

But depending where you are sailing from though.

9. Re: Where to stay in Southern Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 06:15