We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 nights Ireland Sep/Oct - itinerary

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
10 nights Ireland Sep/Oct - itinerary

We are flying into Belfast and have 10 nights in Ireland and depart from Dublin. We are hiring a car and want to confirm itinerary ok and if any other suggestions. 2 adults and 1x10 year old child. If you have any recommendations of must sees enroute and if route is ok for this time of year or should we spend more time somewhere else.

Day 1 - Arrive Belfast - stay 1 night somewhere Northern Ireland not sure - recommendations?

Day 2 - Stay Castle Leslie, County Monaghan

Day 3 Castle Leslie, County Monaghan

Day 4 - Galway

Day 5 - Dingle

Day 6 - Killarney

Day 7- Killarney

Day 8 - Waterford or Cork

Day 9 - Dublin

Day 10 - Dublin

I look forward ot any comments or suggestions and must sees en-route and if we need to alter out itinerary. Many thanks...

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,568 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 nights Ireland Sep/Oct - itinerary

There will be a surcharge for hiring a car in the UK and leaving it in Ireland, Otherwise, a lot of driving but I've seen worse!!

Edited: 19 April 2014, 15:17
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 nights Ireland Sep/Oct - itinerary

I think it would be worth comparing rental costs Belfast-Dublin vs Belfast-Belfast and Dublin-Dublin; there might be a big enough difference that you would want to change your itinerary.

Also tempted to suggest you omit Cork/Waterford and add a further night to either Galway or Dingle; 1 night in either isn't really enough to do justice to them - and bear in mind that it's around 3.5-4hr drive (non-stop)from Galway to Dingle. If you want to stop en-route, either somewhere in the Burren region of north Clare and the Cliffs of moher, or Bunratty Castle, you'll find the full day spent travelling to Dingle.

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i22836-Galway…

shannonheritage.com/Attractions/…

Dingle Peninsula is one of my favourite places on Earth; just returned from a 3-night stay:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19068-Best_o…

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19854-Dingle…

flickr.com/photos/…

Lots and lots to see in/around Killarney, depending on your likes/interests:

ringofkerrytourism.com/ring-of-kerry-attract…

http://www.killarneynationalpark.ie/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gap_of_Dunloe

heritageireland.ie/en/South-West/RossCastle/

http://www.muckross-house.ie/

If you decide to omit cork/waterford, you may want to break the drive up to Dublin here

heritageireland.ie/en/…

And/or here:

heritageireland.ie/en/South-East/CahirCastle/

You can plot routes, gauge drive times on this website, but if it's your first time driving in Ireland it's best to add further 20% to the quoted times to allow for possible delays, roadworks, diversions :

http://www.theaa.ie/routes//#

Southampton
Level Contributor
3,233 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 nights Ireland Sep/Oct - itinerary

Not sure you'll need 2 days in Killarney. Its a nice enough place but half a day would be enough. Spend some time on the Ring of Kerry. Its busy and some would say a bit clichéd but places like Valentia Island, Portmagee (technically on the Ring of Skellig), Waterville and Derrynane Bay are good places to visit. And the Skellig Chocolate Factory at St Finan's Bay is well worth a stop.

If you get a chance, county Donegal is beautiful and largely remote, but many a gorgeous locale.

And take your time on the Dingle peninsula, it is a stunning part of the world.

My tip for Dublin would be the Guinness factory. Again, its probably a bit clichéd for some but we enjoyed the tour when me and my friend visited as you can go at your own pace.

redcar
Level Contributor
47 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 nights Ireland Sep/Oct - itinerary

you lucky lot,my wife & i done the same thing last sept but for 7 days,we arrived by ferry into larne,about 10 miles north of belfast from england. For me a must is to see the giants causeway while you are in the north.Are trip was similar to yours but we visited donegal,sligo,galway,limerick,clonmel,knock,KILLKENNY which was brilliant,dublin,bunratty castle was good.this list is not in any order started in the north down the west coast the ended in dublin for ferry back to england.Weather was wet/cold,did not go to cork already been,we stayed one night in each place,but 2 in dublin.some of the places we just stayed a few hours and not over night. I was in my own car audi tt so had to book hotels with car parks.good luck

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 nights Ireland Sep/Oct - itinerary

Thank you everyone for your great posts.

6. Re: 10 nights Ireland Sep/Oct - itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 05:16