We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying bus fares

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Paying bus fares

I will be bringing my partner and father to Dublin next month for three days, before continuing on to other parts of Ireland. I have studied the Dublin Bus website and concluded that, based on the bus trips I think we will be taking, it is not in our favor to buy a multi-day ticket, nor does a Leap Card make economic sense, with the €5 supposedly-but-not-really-refundable deposit (at least for tourists), multiplied times three. So the best deal for us will be to pay fares in cash. Since the buses only accept exact change, I want to request the correct euro coins from a bank at the beginning of our trip. My question is, will drivers accept payment for all three of us at once? That is, if a fare is €2.35, can I pay €7.05 for the three of us in the form of three 2-euro coins, one 1-euro coin, and a 5-cent coin? Or I must I come up with three 2-euro coins, three 20-cent coins, three 10-cent coins, and three 5-cent coins as if each person were paying individually? Thanks in advance.

Swords, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying bus fares

Three 2 euro coins, one 1 euro coin and a 5 cent coin will do fine, you just won't get change unless you go to Head office on O'Connell Street or the driver will not accept notes. Enjoy your stay!

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying bus fares

You can pay for all at once in coin. They don't accept notes.

Also you cannot get change on the bus but can reclaim from the H/o with a receipt

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying bus fares

Thanks to both of you. I want to make the most of my time there, so I plan to have exact change in coins. That way I don't have to queue at the bus office for a refund! Thanks again.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,626 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying bus fares

Euro coins from a bank - are we talking cash foreign exchange here? That'll end up costing you far more than you'll save by getting the right change for a bus. Get Euros from ATM and get some change in a newsagents or similar. You don't have to queue up for a refund - if you lose a few Eurocents is that such a big deal?

Edited: 23 April 2014, 08:04
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying bus fares

You can also use the Leap card to pay for all three if you buy one card with €20 or €40 it will last you the 3 days and you can use it on the Dart and Luas as well. Tell the driver on the bus you are paying for all 3 with the card and you can actually run the card into the red so you will not have to go looking for a refund.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying bus fares

It's a stupid system whereby you can't get change on the bus, but that's the system and at least you have been warned in advance.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paying bus fares

You can definitely pay for more than one person on the bus with 1 Leap Card, and there is a significant discount on the fare for using this. I don't think you can do it on the tram or the train though, but this may not matter to you. There is a 3 day ticket that includes Airlink bus, unlimited normal bus services and open top bus tour for €30, this might suit you instead.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
325 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paying bus fares

Wrappido not entirely true. Yes you can pay more than one fare on the bus with the leap card, but not the luas, and I'm not sure about the bus.

On the luas you 'tag on' and the inspectors check to see if you have done so, so it only covers one person.

It would be handy to have one for the bus however if you were planning on using it a lot, and like ganboy1 said, you get a fair discount off cash fare

9. Re: Paying bus fares

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 06:15