We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

more clothing advise, please (for women)

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
646 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
more clothing advise, please (for women)

We will be in Dublin June 4 thru 14. I have read all of the weather history but that never really tells one what is right to wear!

We are from California and our frame of reference is way different than those in Dublin.

Thus:

During the day:

jeans or light weight slacks or crops?

coat (light weight) or lighter weight jacket?

Does anyone ever wear white jeans there? That is a standard here.

I understand the layering concept---but need to know what to layer!

sorry----a bit OCD about packing the right thing.

thank you--

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: more clothing advise, please (for women)

A lightweight jacket /w hood..forget the umbrella! Unless you are fine dining, "business casual" is acceptable everywhere at any time even in the churches. You will be doing a lot of walking, so comfortable shoes are a must. Wearing "jeans" has become a standard everywhere; don't know about white however.

As to packing for travel...half the clothes and twice the money. If you are self driving, the autos are smaller with less room for luggage: and if on tour.. only 1bag/person

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
646 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: more clothing advise, please (for women)

Yes--that "twice the money" phrase rings true for several of the trips I have taken!! Kind of like planning a wedding or building a house---

Southern California
Level Contributor
118 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: more clothing advise, please (for women)

I would skip white jeans on a trip to Ireland. It can rain anytime, and white getting wet has many downfalls. Dress like you do here, in 50-60 degree weather :) And as SissyBiff2 said, a hooded jacket is great. Even hats. The first time I went to Ireland I wore my cute sandal wedge shoes in Dublin, but this time around I'll be doing cute tennis. Also, if you watch any Ireland videos on youtube, you can see people in the background on what they are wearing, if that makes you feel better :)

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: more clothing advise, please (for women)

Yes, people wear white jeans here (not me though - not practical with 2 small children!). At that time of year the weather may be quite nice and warm, so go for lightweight stuff. Cardigans are handy for layering.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,144 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: more clothing advise, please (for women)

Jeans are fine. ANY colour jeans. White are fine too but the only thing I find about them is that they are dirt magnets. I can guarantee you that you will NEVER spill tomato sauce except when you are wearing white jeans or a white skirt :o)) And its fine when you are at home because you can instantly throw the jeans or the skirt into a washing machine. When you are on holidays, its difficult (been there done that!!).

Capris are fine as well. And shorts even if you wish. However the older you are the longer the shorts should get. Fine if you're 17 and have fabulous long legs (like my daughter - she got her father's legs not mine!!). Not so much when you're my age and built close to the ground ;o)

Make sure you have comfortable shoes. I tend to wear Earth Spirit flip flops - I bought a pair of these in pink recently amazon.com/Earth-Spirit-Womens-Black-Lynn/…

I also managed to pick up a lovely pair of Ara wedged deck style shoes. Haven't taken them off since I bought them and I even wore them walking in the Burren on Sunday. ara-shoes.de/english/…ara-modern.html

And bring a mac in a sack. Ideal for throwing in a handbag and grabbing when there is a sudden shower. Today we've had lovely sunshine, torrential rain, hailstones and thunder and lightening!!

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
646 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: more clothing advise, please (for women)

I never thought sandals would be an option---guess I can throw an alternate pair in my tote in case it rains. If my feet don't feel good the trip isn't good--and sandals work best for me

thanks so much

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
8,271 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: more clothing advise, please (for women)

I am a Fitflop devotee .... I have a selection to chose from but will in general be wearing them during the day from now until September....once you take off the winter boots its hard to cover up again. I would say bring your jeans if you like but lightweight trousers may be more practical....also lighter to pack and easier to dry if you get wet. A nice wrap is always handy too - can be worn as a scarf, a shawl or if need be, a hood to keep your hair dry - can also be useful if you're chilly on the flight over.

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: more clothing advise, please (for women)

Like dub fam I live in flip flops during the summer. Think you call them thongs in the States.

That's a whole different under article of clothing here ;-)

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,062 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: more clothing advise, please (for women)

That's for certain Dublinminx, thongs in this part of the world are a undergarment!

I tend to wear light trousers (wearing a pair now - light and dry quick), tshirt and cardigan when it's warmer with a light mac not far too hand. That's waht I tended to live in when I was over in Ireland in September.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,660 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: more clothing advise, please (for women)

Don't forget you can buy things like a fleece cheaply here in some of our chainstores ,so you won't be stuck, Dunnes Stores and Penneys would be the cheaper places.