We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irish pub, where is the best?

VN FAMALICÃO
10 posts
Save Topic
Irish pub, where is the best?

Hello,

Can anyone tell me were I can visit a traditional Irish Pub, where you have live music?

In Portugal, the pubs usually close at 04.00, and in Ireland?

Tks!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Irish pub, where is the best?

You could try O'Donoghue's (www.odonoghues.ie/) or The Merchant (sorry, the link to the website didn't work when I tried it but you might find it with a google search). They are the two that came to mind immediately and of the two O'Donoghue's would be better. I am sure there are lots of pubs for that kind of music but please be aware that these pubs usually put this music on for tourists.

Official closing times for pubs are 11.30 pm Monday to Thursday and 12.30 pm Friday and Saturday. On a Sunday the pubs close at 11 pm. There are, of course, exceptions to this rule! You will find pubs with later licences (in Temple Bar, for example) and some pubs will not take the closing hours too seriously. From closing time on you will also have half an hour to finish your drink, so if the pub stops serving drink at 11.30 pm you have until midnight to drink up and leave. Some pubs are stricter than others! There are also discos and clubs that wouldn't close until late but I am afraid I can't give you any information on these because I just don't know about that!

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Irish pub, where is the best?

Do you intend to be in Dublin exclusively, or are you planning to travel around Ireland? Answers could vary accordingly.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
350 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Irish pub, where is the best?

Generally speaking you'll find more genuine traditional Irish music in pubs in other parts of Ireland.

O'Donoghues on Merrion Row - off St Stephens' Green is one in Dublin - very touristy but I've been to some good sessions there.

And the Cobblestone in the Smithfield area - may not have music every night - so you should check ahead of time.

I'm off to Portugal (Estoril) in September and look forward to the 4am closing!

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Irish pub, where is the best?

RealBandit: speaking of the Cobblestone, do you know if it is possible to get the new CD ('Cobblestone Sessions' ) from them?

Since Ricardo did not let us know if he was going to be in Dublin only, or travelling around, I will risk suggesting the Galway's equivalent of the Cobblestone: The Crane Bar. The best in the place for live trad music.

VN FAMALICÃO
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Irish pub, where is the best?

Hi,

Sorry the delay, but I will visit only Dublin, in October for just 4 days, and I will stay in Cammac Valley camping park, so I think that we will not have much time to stay in the pub because we must go back to the camping, and is possible that we don’t have bus after midnight, I think!

But me and my wife we love Irish music, so we intend pass some time listen that music in the real traditional Irish pubs!

Oh, and RealBandit, I lived near Estoril some years ago, and I can tell you that almost all pubs closed at 2.00, but there many that closes at 04.00, it will be easy to you to find them because they are all in the same street!! If you want, you can go to Lisbon that you have bars closing by 06.00.

Ricardo

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
350 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Irish pub, where is the best?

Hi again

Eirelover - afraid I don't know where you can get the Cobblestone CD but if i see it on sale I'll post a new thread and let you know that way.

and

Ricardo - Not sure where Cammac camp site is but there are a number of late night buses called 'nite links' to many suburbs of Dublin so you may be able to catch one of them - usually one at 1am, one at 2am and last one 3am. You have to buy a ticket from a temporary ticket office in a trailor near the bus starting point - you can't pay on board.

Looking forward to Estoril and Lisbon (and 6am finishes!) - enjoy your trip.

RB

Dublin
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Irish pub, where is the best?

Ricardo,

I'm from Dublin and the best traditional pubs in Dublin are

The Stags Head

Kehoe's on Anne Street

Doheny and Nesbitt

Neary's

You won't get traditional music in these pubs - but the atmosphere and the pints are great. The pubs with live music tend to be full of tourists.

Enjoy!

Ireland
Level Contributor
679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Irish pub, where is the best?

Al pubs suggested are great.

The Cobblestone in Smithfield has nightly sessions- authentic, and full of locals, and local musicians.

Also Mulligans is always a favourite too.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,339 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Irish pub, where is the best?

Ricardo, there are a number of pubs in the Temple Bar area that do traditional Irish music and despite the fact that they are all very touristy, the standards are pretty high.

So to add to the list, I would put Oliver St. John Gogartys and Temple Bar pub as well.

I usually end up in the upstairs bar in Gogartys.

Dublin
Level Contributor
794 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Irish pub, where is the best?

Camac valley is on the Naas dual carriage way, just west of the old Green Isle Hotel (now Lynchs), about about 1 mile north of Newlands Cross.

Clondalkin village is about a 5 minute taxi ride, and there are about 5-6 pubs there. Not sure about the trad music scene.

I would recommend the Poitin Still pub in Rathcoole. Not sure about the closing time, but I would say they are fairly relaxed, especially at weekends.

The 69 bus (www.dublinbus.ie) is not very regular but will bring from your campsite to Rathcoole (5 mins), and return leaving up to mid night. Again, a taxi might be handy.