We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport or self drive in from Malahide?

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport or self drive in from Malahide?

We will have hire car in hotel car park. Should we leave it there and just use public transport in and out of Dublin CBD. It's only a full day and overnight stopover. We would be returning back before 9:00pm (October).

Edited: 13 May 2014, 09:07
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport or self drive in from Malahide?

Public transport definitely. There are train and bus services available. The Dart train is quicker than the bus. What hotel are you at?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
88 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport or self drive in from Malahide?

I would agree. Get the train (DART) to the city centre. Train station in the centre of Malahide village. Much quicker and more frequent than the bus. Parking can end up being expensive in the city centre if you are parked in a car park all day. Dublin city centre is quite small and easily accessible by foot.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport or self drive in from Malahide?

Definitely use public transport and leave your car at the hotel - you do not want to be driving into Dublin city and trying to find car parking which is quite expensive for a full day. The DART train from the centre of Malahide village to the city centre takes 25 minutes, and cost €3.05 each way. The #42 bus takes 50/55 minutes and also costs €3.05 each way. The last DART and bus out from the city centre are at 23.30. If you happen to be staying at The Grand Hotel, the train station and the #42 bus stop are a 10 minute walk.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport or self drive in from Malahide?

Thanks, it is the airport Hilton but we will be arriving from Sligo.

Edited: 15 May 2014, 09:04
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
88 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport or self drive in from Malahide?

Just to let you know the Dublin Airport Hilton is on the Malahide Road NOT in Malahide. Two totally different locations. There is no train route near by unless you drive to Clongriffin and park somewhere near there. You can get number 27 bus from Clarehall which is near the Hilton to the city centre. I still would leave the car behind and use public transport. Hope this helps.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport or self drive in from Malahide?

Bus 27 sounds good. Is the Hilton area okay for walking after dark?

Edited: 15 May 2014, 10:25
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
88 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport or self drive in from Malahide?

Hmm! How can I say this politely?..Wouldn't be the best of areas in Dublin but I dont know where you would be going to around there except your hotel. Theres not a lot of amenities nearby. Theres a shopping centre near but not that many shops in it....theres a.huge supermarket there (Tescos)..no pub nearby..I think we all thought you were staying in Malahide which is a lovely sea side town with lots of restaurants and pubs. If you are only staying one night and got a good rate it would be fine. The hotel itself is nice but if you were here for a few days I would recommend somewhere else like Malahide itself with more to do locally.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
88 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transport or self drive in from Malahide?

Just duck if you hear a loud noise!....lol....I am only kidding...I often shop in the Tescos nearby...it used to be open 24 hours. Hope you have a nice stay.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Public transport or self drive in from Malahide?

Might be best to take a taxi back to the hotel at night.

So the Hilton now claims it's in "Malahide" as well as being at the "Airport"? Bad form.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
8,096 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public transport or self drive in from Malahide?

As already said above, its not an area for strolling around in the evening, apart from any other reason than there being nothing of interest to see there - but I'm sure going from the bus stop to the hotel would be ok if you are reluctant to take a taxi.