We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only One Night for a Self Guided Pub Crawl

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
100 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Only One Night for a Self Guided Pub Crawl

We have three nights in Dublin in July, arriving around 21:30 on a Friday night via AirCoach from Belfast (which means this is our second night and we will still be jet lagged). I think we could go to one pub Friday night after checking into our hotel and Stag's Head and O'Neill's both look close to the Morrison where we are staying. Each of them would be on pub crawl #1 below or instead of those pubs we could go to the Palace Bar for a drink Friday night? Saturday or Sunday night (depending on your response) I have planned a pub crawl, two different one's actually and which one we go on depends you your responses. The non-pub crawl night we will have dinner at L Mulligan Grocers and then go to the Cobblestone pub. Here are the crawls (open to any suggestions):

Crawl#1: Stag's Head, Long Hall, Grogan's, McDaid's, Kehoe's and O'Neill's (dinner at which pub or go to Smyth & Gray for dinner since Husband's last name is Smyth (will visit the toy store)?)

Crawl#2: O' Donoghues, Doheny&Nebsbitt, Toner's (dinner at pub or FX Buckley Steakhouse Pembrook?) after dinner cab to Smyth's pub near Ashfield Road and Rt117 (Husband's last name Smyth)?

A couple of other things-- I am not a beer drinker, not a big drinker at all ( I will make do with wine or a mixed drink) and there is no way I will have an alcoholic beverage at more than 3 places, including a lovely Irish coffee, that is why having dinner at one of the stops would make sense to me.

Would like to spend more time at one or two of the stops with music which seems to start earlier on Sundays.

I know these choices are frequented by tourists since they are always mentioned but I am a tourist.

Thanks for your input. These boards have been invaluable in planning our trip.

Vickie

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Only One Night for a Self Guided Pub Crawl

Either of those lists is perfectly good, it's up to you whether you prefer to stay closer to the city centre or not. Bear in mind that not all pubs serve food so you may prefer to book a table in either of your chosen restaurants instead of winging it on the night.

I had to look up what Smyths pub you meant, it's in Ranelagh, which is outside of the city centre. Note that the terminology "near Ashfield Road and Rt117" is not used here and may cause confusion for some taxi drivers. There is another Smyths closer to town, on Haddington Road, which is about 10 mins walk from the other pubs on your second crawl. May be a better option for you.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
100 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only One Night for a Self Guided Pub Crawl

Thanks for the information Scampibear. The other Smyth's makes more sense. Walking is also a better option.

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only One Night for a Self Guided Pub Crawl

Both those lists are great and definitely places locals frequent more than tourist spots.

I think you've hit all of my fav old school spots on there.

As previously said. Not all of them do food. But there are loads of options close by each pub.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,755 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Only One Night for a Self Guided Pub Crawl

Lots of iconic Dublin pubs on there.

You'll have a ball.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Only One Night for a Self Guided Pub Crawl

I would highly recommend FX Buckley's. It's def one of the nicest places I've eaten in Dublin.

Coopersburg...
Destination Expert
for Allentown
Level Contributor
608 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only One Night for a Self Guided Pub Crawl

I know you are planning to do a self guided pub crawl, but you might want to consider this one - newdublintours.com/daily-tours/new-dublin-pu… We did the day tour (city, not pub) and considered doing this one because they go to five pubs with different types of live music.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
100 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only One Night for a Self Guided Pub Crawl

Thanks for the recommendation Anny1002000. Its on the list for sure. I think it will be a "game day" decision depending on how much fun we are having where!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
100 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Only One Night for a Self Guided Pub Crawl

Checked out the link to the tour toobusytoday and it looks great but maybe caters to those not in their late 50's. Will keep it in my folder of options. Seems that is the way I am laying out this trip, location, sites and plenty of options for food and drink.

Coopersburg...
Destination Expert
for Allentown
Level Contributor
608 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Only One Night for a Self Guided Pub Crawl

Vickie, The people that did the tour were a really wide age range. We found the vibe of the group was very inclusive and I would think that the pub crawl would be also. Actually, I think more 40 - 60 years old people, or small family groups like mine, would be MORE inclined to do this than the 20 somethings that can crawl on their own!

10. Re: Only One Night for a Self Guided Pub Crawl

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 07:23