We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting through Dublin

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kasmira
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Connecting through Dublin

Any advice on how much time to allow for connections through Dublin? We've allowed 1 hour and 40 minutes between our American Airlines flight from Chicago and our Ryan Air flight from Dublin to Carcassonne. Given the new security restrictions, is that enough time to make a connection?

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting through Dublin

Ryanair check in closes at 40 minutes prior to departure. You can save time by checking in on-line, but only if you have to bags to check in. I am not sure where the departure gate is for Carcassonne, but some of the Ryanair gates are a 10 to 15 minute walk after passing through security. The time it takes to get through security varies according to the day and the time of day, e.g. 6.00 p.m. on a Friday can be awful. This is before the new retrictions.

After all that you will probably get to the gate and find the plane has been delayed an hour!

So, in answer to your question, in theory you should have just enough time, but you will be cutting it fine, considering you will have to collect your bags from the Chicago flight, go through immigration and reach the Ryanair check-in all in one hour, and then maybe only thirty or forty minutes to get tthrough security and down to the Carcassonne gate. Boarding is usually 15 - 20 minutes before the departure time. If you miss your flight with Ryanair, there is no come back. You have lost your tickets and will have to pay to get on the next flight, which will probably be astronomical.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting through Dublin

Misprint: I meant to say you can only use Ryanair on-line check-in if you have NO bags to check in.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,615 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting through Dublin

I think it would be very optimistic for you. My experience at Dublin arriving on airline flights from the US is that it usually takes very close to an hour to get off the plane, claim luggage, and get through Customs. If your experience is similar, that will leave you 40 minutes to leave the arrivals area, get upstairs to Departures, get in line for Ryanair, get your tickets, and get through security and to your gate.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting through Dublin

Make the stewardesses/steward on American Airlines aware of the fact that you have a tight connection to meet after touchdown in Dublin. Ask them to contact the relevant Ryanair personnel after you have arrived in Dublin.

Don't sit like apathetic people in the customs/passport queues. Tell your fellow line-waiters that your're stuck for time and ask them whether they mind you skipping ahead in the queue. If you make time work for you, you should be able to catch the Carcasonne plane. But if you think you're going to make it by passively waiting in a series of queues, think again.

Finally, and this thought has just occurred to me. Given that you are in transit through Dublin, are you obliged to go through Dublin customs and passport control ? Check this out with Aer Rianta, the Dublin Airport Authority.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,615 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecting through Dublin

I'll let the original poster confirm this, but it's probably not really a "connection", but rather a separately ticketed trip, that would be my guess anyway. I don't think Ryanair has any reciprocal agreements with American Airlines. So asking for one of their reps to greet the plane may not be feasible.

If they aren't truly "connecting" on one itinerary, they're going to have to claim luggage assuming they're not doing just doing carryon. American won't be able to check bags through from Chicago to Carcassonne.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecting through Dublin

Ryanair is the original "no frills" airline. It does not give special treatment. They are extremely fussy about their check-in. You have to have everything perfect. The recent security scares will only make it less likely for the rules to be relaxed. They will certainly want to weigh the bags. They make a lot of money from charging for excess bags.

I don't see any way round coming through immigration to the arrivals hall and then upstairs to departures to check-in with Ryanair. But it is worth enquiring.

Having said that, people are generally nice and the queue-jumping will work if done nicely and politely.

Kasmira
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connecting through Dublin

Thanks for the feedback. We were originally planning to bring only carry on luggage. With the recent changes, this won't be an option. We're traveling with an older group of individuals. Rather than take the chance we are going to rebook to an evening flight.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connecting through Dublin

Not a hope of making that connection. You would have to queue up for immigration, out to departures queue up for the ryanair desk, then queue up for security. Better off to rebook the flights.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connecting through Dublin

With just carry on you would have probably been ok. Could do on-line check in etc. But new rules will banjax all that. Better to be safe that sorry.

10. Re: Connecting through Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 18:16