We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First day in Ireland

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
961 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
First day in Ireland

We just booked our air for our trip to Ireland next April and I am so excited! We are taking the CIE Irish Odyssey tour so we will spend 13 amazing days circling the country! We will be arriving in Dublin at 5:15am. After our long overnight flight its going to be a long day and do not have anything on the itinerary until 2pm. At that time we will take a city tour to view Trinity College, General Post Office, St. Patricks Cathedral and the Famine Memorial. Then we will tour Killmainham Goal. The next day we will visit the Russborough House in the morning then an afternoon on our own with an open-top bus voucher. We are scheduled to have dinner at the Jameson Distillery.

So my question is this? What should we do between arrival and 2pm to stay busy (awake). We are staying at the O'Callahan Alexander Hotel near Trinity College.

Also we have dinner on our own the first night. I know there are countless pubs but what would you recommend for our first taste of Ireland?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First day in Ireland

Check into your hotel and take a nap? Haha, the jet lag is going to kill you! But if you insist on keeping up and awake, I'd say stop for coffee and breakfast, and go window shopping near Trinity and Temple bar if you'll be over in that area.

Dublin
Level Contributor
993 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First day in Ireland

I strolled past your hotel on Saturday and I noticed that it was popular with the CIE tours. We were on our way to visit the grounds of Trinity College which has a side entrance less than 100 yds from your hotel. Lots of people were just sitting around watching a cricket match that was taking place.

About 50 yds from your hotel is Merrion Square Park. A nice place just to have a stroll. About 100 yds from your hotel is the Natural History Museum also known as the dead Zoo. I would suggest a stroll in the park and a visit to the museum.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
533 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First day in Ireland

Take a walk down Sufflok or Grafton...loads of shops and fun things to see. Stop in at the Avoca shop and go up to the cafe for chips (fries) cooked in duck fat - they're amazingly good.

For dinner, I recommend the Boxty House in Temple Bar - my favorite is the chicken, but honestly, it's all good and it pairs nicely with a bottle of craft beer you can get there called Galway Hooker ale...and if you like chocolate at all, save room for the brownie.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
961 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First day in Ireland

I wish checking in and taking a nap was an option but I'm sure our rooms will not be ready that early.

I'm glad to hear that our hotel is so close to everything. We are very excited!

5. Re: First day in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 05:17