We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliffs of Moher or Giant's Causeway?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Cliffs of Moher or Giant's Causeway?

Hello,

I will be in Dublin for 4 days and am deciding between the Cliffs of Moher or the Giants Causeway. They both seem to be equal distance from Dublin (3 hours). I think the Cliffs look amazing but someone in my group suggested Giants Causeway instead (to me it looks like a pile of rocks according to google images). Which is better??

Thank you!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
13,426 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cliffs of Moher or Giant's Causeway?

Greetings! IMHO, I would somehow figure a way to visit Giants Causeway, Co. Antrim, & then head over to Slieve League Cliffs, Carrick, Co. Donegal, That would be an adventure!

Hope this helps

Ontario
Level Contributor
295 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cliffs of Moher or Giant's Causeway?

I've seen both - and I visited Giant's Causeway a second time. Would I return to Cliffs of Moher? No. I found the Giant's Causeway fascinating and I enjoyed the walk and lingering around the rock formations. There are other scenic cliffs, but only one Giant's Causeway. I've always said that it was the one attraction that absolutely delivered the goods for me. Just my subjective experience for what it's worth. There is no wrong choice between the two.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
391 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cliffs of Moher or Giant's Causeway?

Just to completely confuse you ... I have the opposite opinion of Susie. Giants Causeways was a bit of a letdown to me. It would have been even more so if I had traveled 3 hrs specifically to see them. The cruise to see the COM from the sea though, I found amazing. That said I don't think, as a day trip, either are worthwhile, too much driving and too weather dependent. I'd stick closer to Dublin, lots of great stuff around, Newgrange, Glendalough, even Belfast, just as a start.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cliffs of Moher or Giant's Causeway?

The Giant's Causeway isn't weather dependent like the Cliffs. The famous picture you see of the Causeway is actually quite a small area, but the walks in the area will lead you to other formations ,well worth it.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cliffs of Moher or Giant's Causeway?

Just be sure, that if you do choose the Giant's Causeway, that you check the tide times before you make the journey to get maximum exposure of the stones

tidetimes.org.uk/…axzz35bB5tihO

6. Re: Cliffs of Moher or Giant's Causeway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 07:21