We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying in dublin for 5 days the louis fitzgerald hotel

doncaster
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
staying in dublin for 5 days the louis fitzgerald hotel

hi

hoping for some help staying in dublin for 5 day (thursday - monday) and will be staying at the louis fitzgerald hotel

now probably should have checked before i booked but i now realise it is quite away out of dublin. so it looks like we will be getting bus/tram from what i can see dublin has a pretty good public travel system but should i buy a leap card or just pay per journey ?

also we are going to see the artic monkeys at marley park on the saturday and wondering how easy it will be to get to there by public transport before and after the gig

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin, Agadir
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying in dublin for 5 days the louis fitzgerald hotel

There has been a number of recent posts in relation to your questions that may be of help to you?

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k755676…

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k757078…

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: staying in dublin for 5 days the louis fitzgerald hotel

Leap card will be worth it as you can avail of cheaper tram and bus fares over the 5 days. That hotel used to provide a shuttle service to the nearest tram stop which is around 35 mins from city centre, not sure if that's still the case. Otherwise it's a good 10 min walk along a busy road.

For Marlay, per the other link the bus services leave from town. Check if your hotel has anything arranged, otherwise it'll have to be a taxi.

Edited: 27 June 2014, 19:38
Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: staying in dublin for 5 days the louis fitzgerald hotel

You are a ways out of town with very little around where you're staying.

There is a Luas stop at the Red Cow which is a decent walk from your hotel. I'm not sure about the bus options.

For. Marley Park using public transport you'd have to bus or Luas to city centre and public transport per the links above to Marley.

Honestly this is likely to take the best part of a couple of hours each way door to door.

If you can afford it a Taxi will be a far easier option.

Will be at the gig myself, the trek will be worth it. It's a great venue.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: staying in dublin for 5 days the louis fitzgerald hotel

I suggest you buy a Leap card and top it up with €25-30 at the start. The Luas (light rail tram) daily cap is €6.40 on Leap, and the all operator (bus, rail, tram) daily cap is €10 with the weekly cap being €40. Unfortunately weekly capping runs monday to sunday so your last day is in a new week so the most you will be charged for your 5 days is €50. You would need to use it a lot to get up to this though. If you need to top up your leap card you can do it at the ticket machines at the luas red cow stop or any tram stop. You can also do it in any newsagent with Payzone displayed outside

Your hotel is a 10-12minute walk to the Red Cow luas stop and from there it takes 25-30 mins into the centre of the city depending on which stop you get out at.

For going to the concert you are probably best of to go into the city earlier in the day but ready to go to Marlay Park instead of having to go back to your hotel and then the concert. From the city centre you can pick up the 16 bus on O'Connell Street of Dame Street and it will take you to Marlay Park. The last bus back into the city is at 11:30pm and will operate as the 16C, I presume the concert will be over by then so you should be able to make it. If you dont get it you will have to get one of the concert shuttle buses which will not be covered by Leap. The Luas red line runs until 12:30am or slightly later so you will have time to get back into town to get the tram home (although as mentioned before a taxi might be preferrable)

To get to your hotel from the airport you might prefer to use Dublin Coach. This is a private coach service that stops at the Red Cow. It is €5 and because it is private is not included in the Leap system (not yet anyway!)

dublincoach.ie/timetables-fares/N7-bus-dubli…

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: staying in dublin for 5 days the louis fitzgerald hotel

There's a new "Leap Visitor Card" which will give you 3 days unlimited transport on Dublin Bus, Luas trams, DART train and Rail in Dublin for €19.50 - can be bought in the Spar shop in Dublin airport arrivals only - worth a look - transportforireland.ie/leap-card/…

doncaster
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: staying in dublin for 5 days the louis fitzgerald hotel

hi

thanks for all the replies, i have spoken to hotel this morning and they are running a bus to and from gig for 15 euros each so i think i will take that

regarding leap card thanks again for all advise the hotel still run the Free LUAS Shuttle Bus Transfers to Luas & Local Business Park is this the red cow stop everone is talking about ?

if so how much will the travel be from red cow to dublin centre ?

i looked at the 3 day leap pass but i think it will be more expensive as we travel in on the thursday morning but will lose a day as we have the concert on the saturday

also regarding the dublin coach would you say this is the cheapest way to get from the airport to the hotel ?

once again thanks for everyones help

doncaster
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: staying in dublin for 5 days the louis fitzgerald hotel

also wondering what times the public transport run back to back from dublin center

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: staying in dublin for 5 days the louis fitzgerald hotel

Yes, Dublin Coach is the best option for you as it runs from the airport to the Red Cow. A Leap card may not prove much of a saving if you won't be using trams or buses much. Last tram from city centre is around half past midnight Mon-Sat and 11:30 Sun. Buses 11:30 every day.

9. Re: staying in dublin for 5 days the louis fitzgerald hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 05:17