We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electricity in Ireland

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Johns Creek, Georgia
Level Contributor
8 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Electricity in Ireland

Hi. Do we need to bring converters with us on our trip or can we simply plug our electrical items directly into the outlet?

Mike

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
386 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electricity in Ireland

You will need US/UK adapters, the plug shape is different. Almost all electronics, chargers, etc. will work with both 110 & 200, so no need for a converter.

The only items that would need a converter would be something like a hair straightener. But you're better off either buying a dual voltage before you go, or buying one in Ireland. Converters tend to run hot and make me nervous personally.

Johns Creek, Georgia
Level Contributor
8 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Electricity in Ireland

Thank you

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,388 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Electricity in Ireland

for cheap electrical items to buy while in Ireland

and the kitchen sink

have a look at ARGOS.IE /

Edited: 03 July 2014, 06:13
Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
90 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Electricity in Ireland

On a similar note, I have a US to UK adapter that I've used in England before. It does not seem to fit in any of the electrical outlets in our Dublin lodging. Is there a trick to plugging it? I tried pushing hard but I'm afraid if I push any harder that it may break.

I've compared the adapter to an appliance plug, and there is a slight difference. My plug has a semi pointed tip (like a flat spear with a flat tip). The appliance plug has just a flat tip. Both plugs appear to have the same thickness.

Also, if I cannot get this to work, where can I buy another converter in the Dublin area? I'm staying near Christchurch Cathedral.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,424 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Electricity in Ireland

sockets in uk and ireland are the same. the slight point on the tip of the earth prong, is just an aid to pushing the safety shield across.

St.Julians-Malta
Level Contributor
816 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Electricity in Ireland

Are they two pin or three pin plugs please

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Electricity in Ireland

No point buying another adaptor, the plugs and sockets are the same in the UK as here. Provided they look as though they will fit, push in the longer (top) prong and set the bottom ones in place, then give it a bit of a thump with the heel of your hand. They can be a bit stiff, some of the ones in my house the plugs slip in, others you have to persuade them a bit :-)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,747 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Electricity in Ireland

Three prongs

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Electricity in Ireland

Keshgrammy, are you in dublin now ? you are from my hometown of Charlottesville, :) I have moved to Dublin.

UK and Ireland have the same plugs. Lots of shops have cheap converters around town. Currys, Argos, PCworld,

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,424 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Electricity in Ireland

catin. i hope that you are not mixing up an adaptor with a converter! an adaptor changes plug form, a converter changes voltage.