We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin to The K Club

Pittsburgh...
13 posts
Save Topic
Dublin to The K Club

Hello!

My fiancé and I are leaving for our honeymoon on Monday, July 21st. We are booked for 3 nights in Dublin, picking up a car, driving to Killarney for 2 nights, then finishing in Galway for 4 nights.

He is an avid golfer and would like to visit and play a round at The K Club. The people there have been very nice and have offered for me to have a spa treatment and for him to play. We are planning on just leaving Dublin very early in our rental car and stopping for the morning/afternoon at the resort, but are afraid that it will leave us with very little travel time into Killarney. This will also be our first day with a rental car, and have never driven in Ireland before.

Is this doable? Anybody have an recommendations? Or would it be possible to take a bus or taxi during our last full day in Dublin, and spend the day at the resort, returning to Dublin for our last evening there?

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
The K Club
The K Club
1,015 Reviews
Straffan, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Clontarf Castle Hotel
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#3 of 150 hotels in Dublin
Ariel House
Ariel House
#4 of 150 hotels in Dublin
The Croke Park
The Croke Park
#5 of 150 hotels in Dublin
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,867 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin to The K Club

Straffan is difficult enough to find for a first timer from the airport. What I suggest is that you head from the airport via M50, then get onto the M7 - heading Cork and once on the M7 take exit 7, signposted Straffan. After that it's nice country roads towards Straffan. That's as straightforward as I know, and I've done it a few times.

I looked for a public bus to Straffan but can't find one. Taxi from City Centre would prob cost you about €30 to €40 each way.

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Pittsburgh...
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin to The K Club

Thanks!

We are picking up the car in city centre, so we won't be coming from the airport.

Is it a simpler drive?

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin to The K Club

Its a complicated drive from the city centre to the motorway in Lucan but once you get there its reasonably straightforward to get to Straffan ( just follow the signs ). You will need your wits about you navigating the quays ( if you go that way) as far as the Kilmainham junction. Are you hiring a car with sat nav??

Level Contributor
38 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin to The K Club

The easiest way would be to drive down the quays towards Hueston Station, straight all the way, bear left at Heuston Station Station and the follow the main road all the way to the motorway (N6/M6). Take the exit for Maynooth and then the second exit on the roundabout at the end of the slip road off the motorway. The K Club will then be straight all the way.

If you plan on going to Killarney that same day, follow the signs to Naas after leaving the K Club and then go onto the M7/8/9 for Cork/Limerick/Waterford. Follow the M7. It should take under 4 hours to reach Killarney from the K Club so it's definitely doable in one day.

Mentioned in this post
The K Club
The K Club
1,015 Reviews
Straffan, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Waterford
Waterford
County Waterford, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin to The K Club

If you don't have a sat nav you could use the following route planner website and print out the route in advance: http://www.theaa.ie/routes/

You can put in your starting location from Dublin and work from there.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
9,607 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin to The K Club

I would follow the M4 and take The Maynooth/ Naas exit - (i think i have noticed Straffan on that sign too) As already mentioned the AA route planner is very handy.

Edited to add the K Club has excellent directions on its website and a link to a route planner.

http://www.kclub.ie/en/hotel-location/

Edited: 09 July 2014, 10:47
Mentioned in this post
The K Club
The K Club
1,015 Reviews
Straffan, Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
9,607 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin to The K Club

Sorry can't edit again - Sarah, congrats to your both on your wedding, have a great honeymoon!

Level Contributor
38 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin to The K Club

Sorry I did actually mean the N4/M4 to the K Club.

Mentioned in this post
The K Club
The K Club
1,015 Reviews
Straffan, Ireland
9. Re: Dublin to The K Club

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 23:17