We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

attire for lunch at Caviston's in Dun Laoghaire

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
attire for lunch at Caviston's in Dun Laoghaire

We will be meeting a relative for Saturday lunch at Cavistons during our trip to Dublin next month. It's very close to where my Grandmother used to live, so we plan to take a long walk to explore the area either before or after lunch. Would it be okay to wear athletic shoes, jeans and t-shirts to the restaurant? It looks like a pretty nice place. We're from California, where pretty much anything goes.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,913 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: attire for lunch at Caviston's in Dun Laoghaire

I've never heard of the place, but just a quick look at their website and some online customer reviews leads to to think it's at least a bit upscale and likely not the kind of place for jeans and t shirts.

I also think, at least from my experience, that most Irish people meeting relatives for lunch would probably make a bit of effort to dress up a bit.

Level Contributor
38 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: attire for lunch at Caviston's in Dun Laoghaire

Casual dress for lunch on a Saturday at Cavistons would be fine. Jeans and tshirts are acceptable at lunchtime. For evening meals people tend to dress up a bit more at nicer restaurants but in general you will find that there is a fairly relaxed dress code in most places in Ireland.

Dublin
Level Contributor
994 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: attire for lunch at Caviston's in Dun Laoghaire

Cavistons is very laid back. We often eat here and I can tell you that jeans and t shirts will be fine.

Have a look at this trail here. You are about 220 yds from point 5 of the trail. So you can either walk back to point 1 or go forward when exploring the area.

everytrail.com/guide/dun-laoghaire-dalkey-an…

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
769 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: attire for lunch at Caviston's in Dun Laoghaire

oxoxo: Always looking for good looped walks. That looks good. Very detailed. Thanks for posting.

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: attire for lunch at Caviston's in Dun Laoghaire

Thanks very much Oxoxo. The walk looks wonderful--I hope the weather cooperates.

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: attire for lunch at Caviston's in Dun Laoghaire

Thank you Anthony F--that's good to know. I haven't been in Ireland for 17 years--so looking forward to some good Irish seafood!

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: attire for lunch at Caviston's in Dun Laoghaire

Thanks IrishFan. The relative we're meeting is American and quite likely to be wearing running shoes himself! He's the one who suggested the long walk.

8. Re: attire for lunch at Caviston's in Dun Laoghaire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 06:15