We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for a 14 hour layover in Dublin?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for a 14 hour layover in Dublin?

We get into Dublin at 7pm on a Sunday night and our flight departs the next morning at 9am. We've never been to Dublin before. Looking for suggestions for places to stay where we can get a quick taste of Irish life and hospitality. We won't have time to do much more than grab dinner in a pub and walk around to soak up the atmosphere but any tips appreciated!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
17,224 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for a 14 hour layover in Dublin?

Greetings Suzette, Try, O'Neill's Bar & Restaurant, Suffolk St. Dublin 2, near the Temple Bar, Trinity College, Molly Malone Statue, Grafton St.

www.oneillsbar.com

I hope this helps.

Dublin
Level Contributor
195 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for a 14 hour layover in Dublin?

If you are young or young at heart you might have the energy to enjoy Dublin in such a short time. Realistically though by the time you clear customs it will be 8pm or later and you will have to be back in the airport next morning at least before 7am. (As neither young nor young at heart) I'd book a room in one of the airport hotels and get over the jetlag. G

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
56,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for a 14 hour layover in Dublin?

Yes, I agree. With such limited time I think from a practical standpoint you're really not going to get much out of a trip into the city, as tempting as it might seem.

It could be 8:30 by the time you check in to a hotel, and assuming your flight the next morning is bound for the US you'd want to be at the airport at 6:00 the next morning.

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for a 14 hour layover in Dublin?

We were there just a few weeks ago and stayed at the Carlton Airport Hotel. A shuttle service was provided. It was very convenient.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
405 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for a 14 hour layover in Dublin?

My husband had a similar layover while on a business trip to Scotland. He originally was booked in Dublin but after I looked at where he was staying, how long it would take to get into and back out of Dublin, I suggested he stay closer to airport. He ended up staying in Malahide (I think it was a Marriott property or possibly Hilton). Like you, he arrived in the evening and headed right to the hotel in Malahide. He didn't get there until about 8pm, then headed to a local pub suggested by the hotel. He ended up meeting a friendly local couple at the bar and chatted with them the whole time. So friendly were they, they exchanged email addresses and had him promise when we next travel to Ireland, he will get in touch so we can get together. He was thankful he opted against staying in Dublin as he had an early morning flight the next day.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
405 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for a 14 hour layover in Dublin?

Just double checked...he stayed at the Hilton Dublin Airport which is on Malahide Road and offers shuttle service to both the airport and the village of Malahide if you want to enjoy a late meal in a local pub.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for a 14 hour layover in Dublin?

I would suggest you consider Malahide village - it is only a 20 minute drive from the airport (taxi costs €20/25). It is a lovely coastal village with a nice atmosphere and a good selection of restaurants offering all types of cuisine and there are also a few pubs there. And if you have the energy and time, there is also a beautiful two mile coastal walk to Portmarnock, where there is a magnificent beach.

Now, you could follow Fourkids4us' suggestion about the Hilton Dublin Airport hotel on the Malahide Rd, but if you still wanted to go out to Malahide village, the #42 bus passes the hotel and takes about 20 minutes to get to Malahide. There is not a lot to do around that Hilton hotel, Malahide village would be far more enjoyable

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for a 14 hour layover in Dublin?

I agree, not much of immediate interest around the Airport HIlton. But I will say on one of my stays there on a summer weekend the bar was crowded with locals and visitors alike and there was music on. For being "stuck" at an airport hotel you could do far worse. :)

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
20,897 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay for a 14 hour layover in Dublin?

malahide is a good suggestion. only 15 mins from airport. taxi around 15€. there is also a 102 bus, but it is rather slow. malahide is a coastal village with a number of good sociable pubs such as gibneys. the main hotel there is the grand hotel, but there is a smaller hotel along the coast road, called the island view hotel.

leaving at 9am in the morning means being at the airport around 2 hours earlier. is your luggage booked through? americans can go through preclearance, but i am not sure if you can do this if your bags are not with you. if you do have to pass through preclearance, you are advised to be here a further hour earlier, due to slowness of us procedures.

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay for a 14 hour layover in Dublin?

Just to clarify, everyone on the US bound flights goes through preclearnce, not just Americans. :) it's not an optional process.

You don't have checked bags with you whe you go through pre-clearance. They're screened and if everything looks OK the passenger is asked to verify their luggage on a picture monitor. If there's a potential problem the passenger is told to step out of line to a seperate area for further inspection.