We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Patricks Day Attire

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
St. Patricks Day Attire

I know I am asking this far in advance but...

Taking my first trip over the pond and don't want to look like the typical American knob walking the streets of Dublin.

Is it common to wear green, or is this just an American fabrication?

Also what can I expect the weather/temperature to be like in March?

Thanks in advance!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Patricks Day Attire

Its a bit unfair to conclude that Irish people think Americans typically look like knobs! :-)

Wear whatever you want. Some locals will be wearing whatever comes to hand when they leave the house, some will be dressed up like leprechauns. Same with everyone else. If you want to do the whole green and face paint thing, go for it. Honestly no-one will care, though you may get a few more smiles and waves if you are dressed up!

Edit, we have had Patricks days in bright sunshine with shorts and teeshirts (not often) I have also seen freezing, rainy, windy and even snowing Patrick's days. Can't help you there, but assume it will be damp and chilly rather than warm.

Edited: 18 July 2014, 13:52
Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Patricks Day Attire

Perfect answer, thanks Doneraile

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,531 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Patricks Day Attire

Full Leprechaun attire is mandatory.

Come and enjoy.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Patricks Day Attire

Pressing the LIKE button for Lord Kimmage's post. I'm sure he's polishing the gold buckles on his shoes as I type :o))

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,531 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Patricks Day Attire

Yup, think Darby O'Gill.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFN-y5AB6fs

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
15,206 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Patricks Day Attire

Greetings MATT, This St. Patrick's Day, in Western Ireland, it was brisk, cold, & a bit cloudy, the sun can out, warmed up the day, a grand time was had by all. A very popular item to wear is a boutonniere or corsage of tiny clover/shamrocks. Many newsagents shops have them available, under 5 E.

I hope this helps.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,898 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Patricks Day Attire

Discretion is the better part of colour! Leave the Leprechaun outfit to his lordship and put on a green tee shirt, hat and a subtle corsage of sharrock as Keshgammy so eloquently puts it! The weather will vary between hail, rain or sunshine.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Patricks Day Attire

Good Plan, My leprechaun costume doesnt fit anymore anyway, too many pints. (no i dont have one)

We already reserved some seats for the parade.

Thanks again everyone.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
183 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Patricks Day Attire

Well, since you're going to the parade, you can certainly go OTT on the costume!! Be sure to wear layers. And a rain cape is mandatory!

North Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
607 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Patricks Day Attire

Lordkimmage,

I was in Co. Donegal on Saint Patrick's Day this year and saw the film Darby O'Gill for the first time ever.

I thought I was either hallucinating or someone had slipped an illegal substance into my wee glass of red at dinner!

In a strange way, it was so bad it was kind of good...