We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin - How Long

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin - How Long

Any suggestions as to how we should stay in Dublin if we plan to be in Ireland for 13 days.

Is 4 nights too long, long enough?

thanks

tim

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin - How Long

It would be too long for me, but it depends on what you are doing in the other 9 days, dont imagine you can do 4 days in Dublin and go round the whole island in 9 days, if you only want Dublin and one other base it may be ok.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,097 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin - How Long

for me 4 days would be too long....1 is sufficient IMO....however, I am not a crowded city person, if you are, you'll love it, i'm sure....it would help us, help you, if you'll share with us your other ideas outside of Dublin...

will you have a car, fly in/out Dublin, do you like castles, ruins, natural scenery, a quite pint in a pub chatting with locals, etc.?.....do you have other places in mind you'd like to visit?.....

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin - How Long

You would get a good flavour of the city in two days, which I think is enough if you have only 13 days in total and want to see other parts of the country. Of course it would depend on what you want to see in Dublin and what your interests are, and it may be you just want aquick look at the city. If that is the case, I would suggest that you take a HOHO bus tour of the city, which will bring you around to the main tourist sights of the city. The HOHO ticket is valid for two days, so I recommend on Day 1 you complete a full circuit non stop first (takes about 90 minutes) and then decide what sights you would like go back and spend more time at. Also, with the HOHO you get a voucher for a free walking tour - walkingtours.ie/scheduled-tours/… - valid on the second day. This is an interesting tour, which I enjoyed.

You will not need a car in Dublin, so if you are renting, only book it for the day that you are leaving Dublin.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin - How Long

I agree with oma, one night is long enough. Why stay in a city when you have all that beautiful countryside and smaller towns to explore?

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,120 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin - How Long

Depends on your priorities, but for me three days would be ideal.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
14,635 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin - How Long

Greetings Tim, IMHO, I suggest you take a look, at, The Dublin Forum site, to the right, Top questions about Dublin, scroll down to #7. What can I see & do in Dublin. The Ireland Forum site, to the right, Top questions about Ireland, scroll down to #2. How do I start to plan my trip to Ireland.

All of us, at TA, are here to assist you in having a magical & memorable visit in Ireland.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26,025 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin - How Long

This thread is helping me rethink how long I should stay in Dublin. Maybe 2 days is good and visit some other places the other day or two with one day being Belfast.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
14,635 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin - How Long

Greetings jordanbulls, Look over the Top questions about Dublin, it may answer a few of your questions.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,957 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin - How Long

Keep on mind four nights is only three full days.

One night is a transit stop.

I think Dublin is worth three nights. We stayed five( which only gave us four full days), and we felt the museums were absolutely worth seeing ( its not all pubs and shopping on Grafton st) . We did one day trip out of city to Hill of Tara and Newgrange , and one trip out to Howth for a cliff walk, very fun, bit could have cut one day off our visit( hence my suggestion that three or four nights would be sufficient)

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,097 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dublin - How Long

jordansbulls, I think your new plan will be great.....so much to see, so little time....