We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Ireland

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Ireland

Hi all,

I've heard that Ireland has toll ways. I'm wondering how these are paid. Do you pay in cash at a toll booth or do you need an electronic system.

Thanks in advance

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Ireland

Either or both. Any tolls I pay, I pay at a booth, there are automatic systems that are in use, I am not sure if all tolls have a pay booth but the system for paying is pretty straightforward. I am sure someone will come on and advise on the systems around Dublin.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,171 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Ireland

The M50 round Dublin has a toll without a booth, you have to pay either online or at a service station by 8pm the next day, if you do not have online access just ask at the first petrol station you come to, if they dont take the payment they will tell you who does.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
16,164 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Ireland

Greetings! To pay your M50 toll, you can do it on-line at www.eflow.ie, you will enter your vehicle registration plate. The other option, is using Pay Zone, www.payzone.ie, you will click on the service you need>Pay M50 toll. Click on the County you are in....... Click on the town/city........

Below, there will be a list of places (mostly petrol), location, address & phone #.

Write the vehicle Registration plate info & get a receipt!

As fuchsia, has posted, you have till 8PM, the following day to pay your toll.

I hope this helps.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Ireland

The M50 is the only section of toll, that does not have a booth to pay at. As advised above, you can pay it (€3.10) at a Payzone outlet, or at www.eflow.ie. Make sure you pay it BEFORE 8.00PM the following day, otherwise, the toll doubles. If you think that you will be using the M50 toll section (between Exits 6 and 7), more than once, then you can pay for these tolls in advance, when you are paying for the first toll.

All other tolls can be paid in cash at a booth - usually to the left hand side of the toll gates - change is given. Most of the tolls are €1.90 per booth, there is one on the M4 that costs €2.90 and two on the M3 cost €1.40 each. This map shows you where the toll stations are - nra.ie/tolling-information/…

Edited: 31 July 2014, 14:23
5. Re: Driving in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 06:16