We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic locations near Dublin?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Cloud...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic locations near Dublin?

Hello! I've been using these forums for ages to plan trips, but I only just made an account because I have a question. :)

I'm planning a trip to Ireland in December. I will be staying in Dublin. I've been to Dublin before, for a few days in August 2013. I love the city, but I'd like to visit some more scenic areas, too. I'm already planning on visiting Dún Laoghaire as I visited there last year, but I'm wondering where else I could visit that's somewhat close to Dublin. I'm all right with taking a day trip or even staying overnight in another part of Ireland, but I think, for example, the Cliffs of Moher might be a little far to travel.

Is there somewhere within a 2-4 hour bus journey from Dublin that boasts the typical gorgeous green Irish scenery? Would it be worth it to take a bus to the Cliffs? (A six hour bus ride seems a little long, but if it's amazing out west, I could be persuaded!)

I'd prefer somewhere that's easy to get to without knowing much about Irish geography - I don't want to get TOO lost. I am in my twenties and traveling alone. Budget is not a huge concern.

Thanks for your help!

-Kate

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,955 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic locations near Dublin?

Are you factoring in that it will be mid Winter? Daylight hours are short, 9am to 4pm, often damp and dismal, and cold. I think you are right to discount the CoM this time of year. Although grass is green all year, the trees will be bare and there are no flowers.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,471 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic locations near Dublin?

A 2-4 hour journey would have you over to the west coast - Sligo, Galway, Limerick - however, as mentioned already the daylight ours will be short and you won't get much time to enjoy the scenery unless you overnight there.

Closer to Dublin Howth, Malahide, Skerries, Dun Laoghaire, Dalkey and Bray all accessible via train are very scenic. Glendalough Co Wicklow has green scenery in abundance and is also fairly accessible from Dublin. take a trip out to The Hill of Tara in Co Meath and you can enjoy some lovely views.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin, Agadir
Level Contributor
4,486 posts
522 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic locations near Dublin?

This site might give you some ideas of what you might like to see and how far you might want to travel?

http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/

This is also a beautiful place to visit.

http://www.newgrange.com/

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
14,034 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic locations near Dublin?

Greetings,

Welcome to TA, Ireland. As fuchsia & dubfam, have both pointed out to you, the daylight hours & climate, the month of December, in Ireland, will be a bit of a contrast, from your past visit, August, 2013. The sites & scenery remain the same, the only differences are the color palette & less visitors. The geography, is one of the reasons, that makes Ireland, so spectacular a Country to visit, the other, being the People of Ireland.

How many days/nights are you planning on visiting Ireland, excluding you departure day? If you share with us, at TA, a bit more about your likes, we can suggest places to visit in your two hour traveling range. If I am reading your OP, correctly, you will be using public transportation.

All of us, at TA, are here to assist you in having a magical & memorable visit in Ireland.

I hope this helps.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,529 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic locations near Dublin?

A visit to the town of Wexford on the Dublin (Connolly Station) to Rosslare Europort train might be another option:

irishrail.ie/media/…

Or, from Dublin (Heuston Station) to the city of Kilkenny would be very do-able, as well:

irishrail.ie/media/…

Buy your ticket online in advance, if you decide on this option. Saves you lots versus buying on the day.

irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/special-offers

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,529 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic locations near Dublin?

Don't want to upset anyone by mentioning Christmas during the August Bank Holiday weekend!

@ dibtio

Christmas-related activities and events tend to begin as early as late November in Dublin. So, you will be able to enjoy some of the atmosphere of the Festive Season throughout the month of December.

http://www.dublinatchristmas.ie

Apparently, there's even going to be a new Christmas market at St Stephen's Green, running from mid November, according to this article:

independent.ie/business/irish/dublin-to-get-…

http://www.christmasmarkets.com/Ireland.html

Even if Christmas does not hold much appeal for you, it still infuses something special into the towns and cities that decorate with lights and trees and generally celebrate the occasion.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic locations near Dublin?

If you are into walking, I would suggest Howth to you, which is accessable by the DART tain or #31 bus. Go up to Howth Head where there are cliff walks and great views of Dublin bay and further up the east coast towards Skerries.

If you are into castles, then a day trip to Tim castle would be interesting - it's about an hour by bus from Dublin - www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1307702393-111.pdf .

Glendalough and the journey there would also be very scenic, but to really get the benefit, it would be best if it was a clear day. However, there is only a private bus service to there from Dublin, and because of their limited service, you would only have about 3 hours in Glendalough, but that might be enough for you - http://www.glendaloughbus.com/timetable.aspx

As already advised, forget about the Cliff of Moher at that time of the day - it's a long journey and because of weather conditions, you might not even see them when you get there.

8. Re: Scenic locations near Dublin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 05:17