We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin to Carrick-a-Rede

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
935 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin to Carrick-a-Rede

Hi, I am landing at 8:30 AM ish from N.Y., I plan on sleeping on the flight from NY to Dublin, we would like to drive up to Carrick-a-Rede after clearing immigration and renting the car, after seeing Carrick-a-Rede we might hit Bushmills depending on the tiime and then head back down to Dundalk to check into our B&B for the evening, we can check in as late as 8 oclock Is this a realistic plan? We really want to see Carrick-a-Rede and cross the rope bridge?

If its not a realistic plan, what can we do between Dublin and say Belfast? Castles, ruins, quaint villages, seaside ports etc etc? we will be in Dublin for 2 days later on in the week so not interested in going into Dublin at this time.

Any help would be greatly appriciated

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin to Carrick-a-Rede

As I have said in the "first day" thread, driving for longer than you've been asleep does not sound like a wise thing to do, although many people do not seem to agree with me. There are plenty of threads about sights between Dublin and Belfast. Why not visit Monastraboice, maybe Mellifont. Drop off your bags in Dundalk have shower and if you still feel up to more than visit Carlingford, Slieve Gullion, maybe the Mournes.or Armagh or just the dolmens and viewpoints around Dundalk.

nApart from anything else, while Carrick-a-Rede is mildy interesting I wouldn't bother going there unless I had time for the Antrim Coast road and other sights in the area. Why is Carrick-a-Rede more interesting than any of the other places mentioned above?

Edited: 05 August 2014, 21:29
Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
935 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin to Carrick-a-Rede

Gaelflyer

Well one being is that the Dark Hedges is on the way, the other is the View from the Island looking back toward the coast is Amazing from Carrick-a-rede Island, I know not as good as the Cliffs of Moher, which we will be seeing as well later on. So its something the misses wants to see as do I, Just dont want to do something that could put us at risk.

I have started to look at other options around the Dublin Area that might be more relaxing but seeing as we are only here possibly this one time in our life we want to pack in as much as we can within reason and not regret going because we chose to rest and to miss something this Jewel of an Island has to offer, my gosh the history alone is amazing. We are not low energy people at least not yet :-)

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,873 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin to Carrick-a-Rede

do take gaelflyers advice....don't take a chance that the plane will be quiet enough you can sleep....there's always that crying child, or a mad passenger that argues with the flight attendant, etc.....

you are coming from a place with an 8 hour time difference, then to just drive to carrick a rede, then to dundalk, is well over 6 hours....add in bushmills and it's over 7 hours driving only....add it time to visit the sites and you're talking a 12 hour day on little or no sleep...not to mention tiny, unfamiliar, curvy roads.....do rethink your plan....

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
935 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin to Carrick-a-Rede

oma14, thank you for the advise, do you have alternatives to the plan as I requested? 6 hrs of driving I do quite often, I understand the concern about sleep, its basically a Red eye from New york into Dublin, Lights out on board and a couple Tylenol PM's will help with the sleep I hope, having said that I am not against having a Plan B in case we arrive and the drive is out of the question, Now to get he DW to understand the need for a plan B, any thought as to what to do in the area around Dublin either North or South will be well received, keeping in mind we will be in Dublin and Kilkenny later in the week. And our B&B is in Dundalk

This is the toughest part of the journey for us because of the limited time we dont want ot blow off the first full day in Ireland because we might be tired, there is time enough to sleep that evening, Very tough indeed

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,366 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin to Carrick-a-Rede

From your other post yesterday, a couple of suggestions:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k76948…

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin to Carrick-a-Rede

Hello CA1Robert

Your reason for driving from Dublin to Carrick-a-Rede appears to be as obscure as you returning/staying in Dundalk! Why Dundalk?

I live north of Dublin Airport and drive to Northern Ireland/Antrim Coast regularly. Contary to information provided above - the route to Carrick-a-Rede area from Dublin is not on "tiny, curvy roads". The bulk of the drive is in fact on Motorway and "A" roads. In saying that, it can be an arduous drive - and not one I would consider taking after a transatlantic flight, no matter how many hours you are used to driving in your normal life. If Carric-a-Rede is the only reason you are heading to the North Antrim Coast, I'd highly recommend that you drop it. You could find that you arrive, then (quite a) trek to the actual rope bridge and the weather miserable. For the few seconds it takes to cross the actual bridge and survey the vista it's not worth the hastle, particularly as you won't have time to savour all the other delights of the area. There is so much in the area that for you to just drive, visit it and return to Dundalk (why?) is a waste of your time and something that I think you'd regret. The view is pretty - but "Amazing" - well that depends on you. I think I'd class the view from Torr Head (in the vicinity too) even better.

Also, factor in there are significant roadworks taking place north of Belfast which may add time to your journey as well.

Me? I wouldn't do it or recommend it to a friend - particularly then having to backtrack to Dundalk (why?)

I don't know what the rest of your itinerary is shaping up to - or where you intend to visit after Dundalk (why?!)

You have more than enough to see/do north of Dublin Airport and South of Dundalk, without even tipping north of Dundalk just a bit.

My favourite seaside on the North East seaboard is Skerries. There, you could while away the whole day wandering around the lovely little town, without even visiting Ardgillan Castle (now there's a view up the coast to the Mourne Mountains if the weather is conducive), Skerries Mills, or taking a trip on a Skerries Cruise

www.ardgillancastle.ie

www.skerriesmills.org

http://www.visitskerries.ie/

http://www.skerriesseatours.ie/trips.html

That's even before you sample some great food from the array of fab pubs/restaurants or even an icecream at Storm in a teacup right on the harbour.

From there, Fourknocks is a slight detour, as is the great Seamus Ennis Centre in The Naul

mythicalireland.com/ancientsites/fourknocks/

http://www.seamusenniscentre.com/

Then, crossing into magical, mystical Meath - I'm sure in your planning you have come across our heritage cultural gems such as Newgrange & Knowth, Hill of Tara, Trim Castle, to name the usual suspects, then dovetailing into Louth with Old Mellifont Abbey, Monasterboice, the historical town of Drogheda

Along the route too, you could visit the Ecological Centre at Sonairte,, just off the R132 in Julianstown before taking the coastal route via Laytown/Bettystown into the historical town of Drogheda.

http://sonairte.ie/

www.drogheda.ie

Another slight detour from Drogheda takes you to yet another of my favourite places of Slane. Visit Slane Castle and the Hill of Slane and take a tour www.slanecastle.ie www.mythicalireland.com/ancientsites/slane/ Vvisit the homestead of our Great War Poet, and "my" special Francis Ledwidge www.francisledwidge.com I have so much regard for this man that I went to Flanders recently to pay my respects at his graveside.

Meandering another bit towards Dundalk (why?!) you could visit the Jumping Church just outside Ardee discoverireland.ie/Arts-Culture-Heritage/kil… and also the pretty little market town of Ardee itself www.ardeetown.com and see the imposing St Ledgers Castle right on the main street.

Detouring slightly east of Drogheda, you could visit the beautiful Beaulieu House & Vintage Car Museum http://beaulieuhouse.ie/ before onwards through the coastal villages/hamlets of Termonfeckin, Clogherhead, Dunany and Viking village of Annagassan before hitting Dundalk (why?!)

All that, would take you at least 2 days to get from Dublin Airport to Dundalk ;-)

Just north of Dundalk (why?!) you have the Cooley Peninsula and the pretty medieval town of Carlingford www.carlingford.ie Just slightly behind Skerries in my book, with a wealth of great hostelies, vistas and more than enough to while away some time. Across the lough you are on the steps of the Mourne Area and yet another day would give you a fab trip full of great scenery and magical moments before you'd ever hit Belfast.

Bottomline CA1Robert and putting myself in your shoes. Don't do it. It's not worth it for a number of reasons. We regularly take roadtrips and had a horrendous 3 hour drive from Eindhoven to outside Ypres last month. The weather was like the end of the world. Luckily, when we got to our destination we were bedding down for 2 nights. If I had to turn the car around (like you will have to do should you decide to go), I would have drunk the petrol from the tank. Whatever you do/are prepared to do at home is not the same as driving in a different country, adjusting to the driving conditions/car and no matter what you think, the journey will have an impact on you. And if you are connecting from California to take the trip across from NYC, that will make it even worst (been there, done that). We are travelling to Newfoundland shortly and have the longest drive of our trip when we arrive at 9am on our first day. We're flying out at a reasonable hour (8am 'ish), arriving shortly after 9am 'ish and have 4 hour drive to our destination after meeting up with my TA Newfie friends for brekkie. We both are dreading it - even though it woun't have too much an impact on our body clocks.

You have more than enough to fill your time without travelling to Carrick a rede (moreso when missing out on everything else in the area). Drop the plan if you have any sense........and Dundalk unless you have a real good reason to stay there. If you really want to be in the area, opt to drive the 20-30 minutes extra to Carlingford.

If you do want to visit Northern Ireland, go as far as Belfast on your first day. There is more than enough to fill your time and forget about returning to Dundalk (why?!!!!!).

oops, and I never even mentioned Mortons in Ballycastle for Fish and Chips before/after the visit to the Rope Bridge!

Just be sure, whatever you decide, to have €1.90 in cash for the M1 toll charge.

Don't be mad at me, just don't do it :-)

Edited: 06 August 2014, 18:11
Ireland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin to Carrick-a-Rede

Dublin airport to Carrick-a-rede takes about 3 hours. While it's an easy drive, I personally wouldn't drive that much after coming off a transatlantic flight (I have never ever been able to sleep on the flight and I've done it 5 times so far).

Not quite sure what Litke Pumpkin's problem with Dundalk is? Sure, it's not tourist central, but it has lots of nice options for eating out/pubs. It's a good base for that area. It would be mad to go all the way to the Antrim coast and then back to Dundalk though.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin to Carrick-a-Rede

Haven't got a problem with Dundalk at all Andarma, the problem is with driving to C-A-R and then back to Dundalk.

I agree with your sentiments about the good pub/restaurants etc, but for a first night stay it's a bit "random" to pick Dundalk don't you think. I'm just curious as to why it was chosen as a first night stay. I'd prefer somewhere a bit more picturesque or with a bit more to offer at the least. As a local, I'm sure you'd agree, the accommodation options wouldn't be the greatest, with the exception of the Ballymac :-)

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin to Carrick-a-Rede

Oh I totally agree that the plan to drive to Antrim and then down to DLK is crazy. I would go along with your suggestions of visiting Carlingford and Cooley, but DLK would have a bit more variety for the evening time. Maybe the OP can tell us which B&B he's staying at? THere are a couple of nice ones in town alright. Ballymac is nice and has the bonus of the Proleek Dolmen on the grounds. I'd imagine that the Crowne Plaza is nice too.

For a night out in Dundalk, I'd recommend the No. 32 restaurant, followed by the Spirit Store.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dublin to Carrick-a-Rede

If they stick to their original plan, they won't be interested in sights/sites/food or drink anyways - all they'll want is their bed! It won't matter where they stay.

I'd second Number 32 or La Cantina would be my choice if I had the energy to get a fork to my mouth after that day!

http://www.no32.ie/

lacantinadundalk.com/restaurant-dundalk-irel…