We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin Airport car hire

Nottingham
Level Contributor
10 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin Airport car hire

We are coming to Dublin for a wedding later this month and want to hire a car from the airport.

I understand that many (all?) companies require you to get a courtesy bus from the car hire desk in the terminal to the compound where the cars are kept. This would generally be OK but as we are getting an 8.00am flight back I would have ideally liked not to have to worry about this extra leg in the journey. Does anyone know of a hire company at the airport that has its cars located within easy walking distance of the terminals?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
23,278 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin Airport car hire

the shuttle buses run at all times. however, i understand that some companies allow you to stop at the terminal, but you would need to contact whichever one you use, to check and see if they will allow this. however, as there are a lot of flights from 6.30am on, and others manage, i should just give yourself an extra 15 mins!

Nottingham
Level Contributor
10 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin Airport car hire

Thanks for the information.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
19,039 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin Airport car hire

Greetings!

This March 2014, I picked up my vehicle at Hertz Airport terminal. I used the Hertz return, off of the M1, a few minutes from Dublin Airport via Hertz shuttle bus, very quick & easy.

I hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin Airport
Dublin Airport
Dublin, Ireland
Dublin
Level Contributor
1 post
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin Airport car hire

I've hired from both Avis and Europcar from Dublin airport and both times I picked up the car from the nearby multi-story car park.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
10 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin Airport car hire

Thanks. We will be there on saturday so hoping everything does smoothly. Went for Europcar in the end. All seem very similar

Louisville, Kentucky
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin Airport car hire

Appley, I rented from Avis a couple of years back. My recollection is that * collecting* the car was a breeze - - easy walk to check-in desk, then easy walk to the car itself. *Return*, otoh, was a nightmare - - *very* difficult to find the Avis (and others, I think) car-return garage, then wait for a shuttle to get me back to the terminal. btw, this was not mentioned to me on collection....

Nottingham
Level Contributor
10 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin Airport car hire

OK, I have now done the collection and return from Europcar. The collection was straightforward as the check in desk was in the airport terminal. I was given the keys and then directed to the Europcar bus which was just outside the terminal building. This bus took me to the car hire pick up area which was about a 3 minute bus ride away still within the airport perimeter. The good thing about this bus was that the driver showed me where to bring the car back on my return journey. All the hire companies have their cars in the same compound. On my return (at 5.45am !!) I drove straight to the compound, dropped the car off and was on the 3 minute drive back to the terminal within minutes.

I think that there is the opportunity to collect a car from the car park across from the terminal building but I did not do this. Equally I think that it is possible to drop the car off on your return again in the car park but not sure how you get your car checked over etc. So, in summary, I collected and returned my car from the car hire compound with no problems. The courtesy buses worked well in both directions. The only downside I can see is if your are running late on your return to the airport and have to wait 10 minutes for the bus. The moral of this is to make sue you have plenty of time to check in for your flight! Happy car hire

8. Re: Dublin Airport car hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 07:16