We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halloween 2014 - Bram Stoker Fest or Samhain Parade?

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Halloween 2014 - Bram Stoker Fest or Samhain Parade?

Hi All,

Myself and a few friends are interested in coming over to Dublin from Germany, to experience the Halloween festive Spirit!

Looking at previous entries and various articles, I have noticed there are two Events (both on different Weekends). There is the Bram Stoker Festival (24-27th October) and then the Samhain Parade which is actually on Halloween (31st October).

Which Weekend would be better to visit for the parades for Young adults? We are wanting to come when the streets are decorated, people are dressed up and enjoying the festive Spirit. We have all been to Dublin before, and we Chose Dublin as we wanted to go somewhere in Europe where they get into the Halloween festive Spirit a Little (we know it will be nothing like the US or Canada).

Suggestions?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,871 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halloween 2014 - Bram Stoker Fest or Samhain Parade?

This post from last year might help you.

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k689050…

Honestly, there will be a few Halloween themed things on but if you are thinking that the streets will be decorated etc you might be very disappointed. The shops will be decorated in an effort to sell their seasonal stock. Kids will be dressed up in their local areas and adults too if they are going to fancy dress parties. I haven't seen any parade on Halloween - maybe someone else has.

I would say yourself and your friends will have a good time no matter which weekend you chose, just don't expect parades etc but you can expect to have a good time.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halloween 2014 - Bram Stoker Fest or Samhain Parade?

I agree with everything Dubfam says. In our area we get about 50 callers to our home between 6 p.m and 8 p.m. after that everything goes dead except for the sound of fireworks in the distance. These would not be of the organised fireworks display but more the local kids with their illegally purchased fireworks.

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halloween 2014 - Bram Stoker Fest or Samhain Parade?

Perfect! Thank you both for your Input.

I had read these Posts before, however Websites like 'Timeout' , etc give the wrong Impression and say there is a big Samhain Festival in Dublin for Halloween. So again, thank you for the Information!

With that being said, Virginia's pumpkin Festival Looks really interesting - would it be feasible to go there for a night? I am assuming we would need to stay a night there and then spend the other 2-3 days in Dublin. Or is it possible to go to Virginia for just a day trip? Go to Virginia in the afternoon by bus and return to Dublin at night? Virginia also Looks like it would be a beautiful town!

UK
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halloween 2014 - Bram Stoker Fest or Samhain Parade?

You could try emailing Johnnie Fox's it's a pub half an hour or so from Dublin in the Dublin Mountains, but easy enough to get to as they run a shuttle bus. It's a fun place,packed full of historical memorabilia, antiques, nick nacks, and I mean packed. Also decent food and famous for Irish dancing. It's very wacky indeed.

We were up there just after Halloween a couple of years ago and it was decorated for the occasion, I am not sure if they do anything special but worth dropping them an email to find out.

www.jfp.ie is their website

Dublin
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halloween 2014 - Bram Stoker Fest or Samhain Parade?

Hi, dlrevents.ie run a Samhain parade in Marlay Park in Dublin. It's fantastic - a family thing really but excellent and if you went to the 5.30 session it would be dark- it's free to attend but as it is so popular you need to get wristbands in advance. It was cancelled last year due to the weather but we had been the last few years and always loved it! It's about a 1km walk through the forest which is decorated and full of witches, ghouls etc. If you keep an eye on their webpage you'll see what date they have in mind

Hope this helps!

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halloween 2014 - Bram Stoker Fest or Samhain Parade?

The annual Pumpkin Festival in Virginia, Co. Cavan (1 hr from Dublin) is a fantastic event at the end of October with plenty of free weekend entertainment: www.thisiscavan.ie

Edited: 22 August 2014, 13:12
Moira, null, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Halloween 2014 - Bram Stoker Fest or Samhain Parade?

The best Halloween festival in Ireland is held in Derry city , the city is taken over for the night , street parade, fireworks and the whole city dresses up. I think this is your best bet to match your expectations.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Halloween 2014 - Bram Stoker Fest or Samhain Parade?

A few of us are also heading over this weekend with the intention of dressing up. What is the general 'halloween' census ? Basically we don't want to look like a bunch of idiots being the only one's dressed up. It's only some cheap items we've brought so not the end of the world if we don't actually use them.

Thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,871 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Halloween 2014 - Bram Stoker Fest or Samhain Parade?

Funny, I was just talking to some younger friends today....older than the ones I've been spending Halloweens with of late :-0, but young enough to be out on the town enjoying themselves.....none of them are dressing up for Halloween in town.

Having said that, its a bit of a laugh dressing up and will certainly be a conversation starter .....so really, just dress up if you want, I don't think you'll look like idiots, especially as its Halloween. People won't be too bothered either way, just suit yourselves and have a good time.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Halloween 2014 - Bram Stoker Fest or Samhain Parade?

I saw the Bram Stoker Fest pictures on social media and they looked pretty awesome.