We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Powerscourt Gardens from The Drury Court Hotel

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Powell, Wyoming...
Level Contributor
141 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip to Powerscourt Gardens from The Drury Court Hotel

We booked for the 11 day Driftwood Tour with Vagabond Tours. We are spending two night in Dublin before the tour and Megan with Driftwood recommended for a day trip to Powerscourt Gardens: https:/…southcoast.aspx or http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=351. Dublin Sightseeing pick up locations are https:/…BrochureShuttle_April2012.pdf and and Bus Eireann from the bus station. Which would be the easiest for a couple of seniors?

UK
Level Contributor
6,384 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Powerscourt Gardens from The Drury Court Hotel

The Dublin Sightseeing has a stop at the Shelbourne which would be handy for you. The bus station is a longer walk but would only be a few euro in a cab. So I wouldn't make that the decider. I would look into how much time each trip allows at Powerscourt, the gardens are expansive so you need plenty of time to explore. Glendalough on the buseirann tour is beautiful and very much worth a visit, again provided there's time to take a walk through the monastic ruins and along the side of the lakes.

Powell, Wyoming...
Level Contributor
141 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Powerscourt Gardens from The Drury Court Hotel

Thank you for your reply and you have a valid point. I sent an e mail to Powerscourt to see if they have a recommendation for which company gives us plenty of time to see the gardens.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,437 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Powerscourt Gardens from The Drury Court Hotel

Hi Barb M

Just thought I would let you know about some other gardens that you can enjoy which are closer to the city and which you could easily visit should the tour not work out for you.

St Stephens Green - a short walk from your hotel.

The national Botanic gardens in Glasnevin - accessible via a short bus ride.

www.botanicgardens.ie/educ/gettingthere.htm

Farmleigh House - Phoenix Park

http://www.farmleigh.ie/

The Walled Garden at the Phoenix Park Visitor centre

phoenixpark.ie/visitorinformation/…

The People's Garden - located just inside the main entrance to the Phoenix Park

phoenixpark.ie/visitorinformation/…

Malahide Castle and Gardens - accessible via public transport

www.malahidecastleandgardens.ie/thegardens/

More suggestions here

visitdublin.com/See_and_Do/…Parks_and_Gardens

Enjoy your visit to Dublin.

Powell, Wyoming...
Level Contributor
141 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Powerscourt Gardens from The Drury Court Hotel

Thanks dubfam. We might try to take in some of your recommendations the day we land. I did receive a reply from Powerscourt "I have just enquired with the front of house staff and both Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann stay for approximately the same duration 1.5 hrs to 2hrs. They (Bus Eireann) also include a visit to the monastic settlement in the beautiful Glendalough National Park. "

Are there any other options out there? I have not been able to find anything else, although I did find carolancoachhire.ie/index.php/… but no reviews on Trip Advisor or anywhere else except their own site.

UK
Level Contributor
6,384 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Powerscourt Gardens from The Drury Court Hotel

You could consider taking the.DART railway along the coast to Bray and then a taxi to Powerscourt. The Powerscourt website has contact details for taxi services in Bray. It would be quote straightforward and would mean you could explore Powerscourt at your leisure, it's lovely. Having said that if you are happy with the time available at Powerscourt then. Glendalough is beautiful too.

Edited: 22 August 2014, 18:46
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,579 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Powerscourt Gardens from The Drury Court Hotel

I've done the tour with Bus Eireann, throughly enjoyed it and thought it was very professional.

Just one thing to be aware of : Bus Eireann uses new comfortable coaches for this tour, leather seats etc.... Dublin Bus use a city double decker bus, not nearly as comfortable or relaxing.

Dublin
Level Contributor
994 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Powerscourt Gardens from The Drury Court Hotel

You can easily see and walk the Powerscourt Gardens in an hour. It is a little hilly in places and there are steps down to the lake. If you decide to stay for a lunch or even coffee and cake and also have a stroll through their shopping areas then you could easily spend two hours there.

You can get the number 44 bus from Dublin to Enniskerry Village. http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/8291/44_(1)_From_D'Olier_St_Towards_Enniskerry_2012_(3).pdf

The nearest stop to your hotel is on Earlsfort Terrace. The other side of St. Stephens Green to your hotel.

You could choose to get an early local bus and arrive early. The only thing is that the bus drops you in Enniskerry Village. It is a good walk to the gardens from there, about 30 minutes but stunning scenery en route. You would aslo have to walk back to the village to get the bus.

8. Re: Day Trip to Powerscourt Gardens from The Drury Court Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 05:16