We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pounds to Euros?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pounds to Euros?

I thought that I would exchange pounds from a previous trip to London for Euros here in the USA so that we would arrive with the local currency. The agent at Travelex at JFK airport said that I would lose more money because it would have to be done in 2 steps: pounds to dollars and then dollars to euros.

Can anyone tell me if the banks in Dublin will give a better rate than at Dublin airport? I have several hundred pounds so I do want to get the best rate. Thanks for any advice.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pounds to Euros?

I've always had pretty good luck at Airports, because there is usually a couple different currency exchange businesses, it makes them compete with eachother.

As long as you can convert the pounds directly to Euro it shouldn't have to be done in to steps. Guess it just depends on the company. The surcharge is what kills you.

pme
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
230 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pounds to Euros?

the problem with the a/port is that there's only one 'high st' bank there (bank of ireland in the arrivals area). all the rest are the usual bureaux de change which i think are a rip-off.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,880 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pounds to Euros?

jerseyretiree, when you get to ireland, go to a bank to exchange your money....as someone has already stated the bureau of exchange is a biiiiiiiiig ripoff....you used to get a good rate at the airport but not so much anymore....

once in ireland you won't have to change your money to anything except pounds to euros.....

Dublin
Level Contributor
794 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pounds to Euros?

You are right about the airport foreign exchange being a rip off. They have to pay a lot of extra rental costs, which are passed onto the consumer. ATM's are the way to go. Just make sure your network in the USA works here (e.g. PLUS). Most do.

dublin
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pounds to Euros?

lodge the pounds to a credit card account, then use the card instead of cash

6. Re: Pounds to Euros?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 11:19