We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How old to enter pubs in Dublin?

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How old to enter pubs in Dublin?

Hi Folks!

Well, I think Hubby, 15 year old son and I will be taking a short trip to Dublin after a visit with hubby's sis.

We may only have time for one night... maaaybeeee two if time permits. I've heard about the on and off bus, and I've also run across something called the "Rock and Stroll" tour that sounds like great fun for the day... and I'm sure there's a castle to see as well! :-)

As for the night... how old do you have to be to enter a pub, and if we can't go into a pub is there a city center where there's a lot of restaurants and people watching, and street musicians etc.?

Hubs and I are not big drinkers... it's really the music and atmosphere we're after.

Also, any other suggestions for night life with a teenager? (Nevermind movies or bowling... we have that here, thanks!)

Cheers! :-)

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How old to enter pubs in Dublin?

Your son will not be allowed in pubs after 6 PM

See: tripadvisor.com/…2161034

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,144 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How old to enter pubs in Dublin?

Sorry Eirelover - Unless the law has changed and they haven't told those of us living here, children are only allowed into pubs until 9.00pm.

Also, depending on when you are visiting and where you are visiting, they may not be as strict with your son. If your son is tall, dresses a bit older and does not draw attention to himself by drinking alcohol (not suggesting he would or you would let him!!) then you will probably get away with it.

The law was changed to stop parents bringing their young children into pubs in the afternoon and having them still there - not having eaten, until closing time. It is sad that the law had to be enacted.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,800 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How old to enter pubs in Dublin?

What about the Dublin Ghost Bus (www.dublinbus.ie/sightseeing/ghostBus.aspx). Your son (and you...!) might enjoy that.

Children are not allowed in pubs after 9pm but a lot of publicans will not create a fuss if he stays a bit longer. Some pubs allow children until 9.30 and hotels usually don't mind (if you're a hotel guest).

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How old to enter pubs in Dublin?

I stand corrected, beanalainn.

But podo944 is likely not to be able to listen to live music with son in pubs anyway, since sessions usually start at 9:30, if not 10PM (except afternoon sessions on Sundays)

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How old to enter pubs in Dublin?

Thanks for the links and info!

My son is an average to tall type, and has a fairly mature attitude (at least in public with parents! ;-)

Aside from participating in some kind of music tour, I'm hoping at least we could go in for a late meal and catch some Irish music!

We're also huge U2 fans (who isn't? :-) so we'd like to do the walking tour which of course one can do during the day...

As for the Ghost bus, that sounds awesome! Wow! They have an age restriction of no one below the age of 14! Is it that scary?? I'm wondering if *I'm* the one who'll have the nightmares! Yikes!!

Can't wait!

Cheers!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,800 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How old to enter pubs in Dublin?

podo, I have never done this ghost bus tour but I seem to remember someone saying on this forum that they enjoyed it. Why don't you post a new thread asking for people's experiences of this tour?

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How old to enter pubs in Dublin?

Well, I'm starting to think of putting off going to Dublin till the kidlet is 18+ The Irish music is probably the main attraction for us to take this side trip..hubby and I had an Irish trio play at our wedding, and we even taught my son (who was 9 at the time) how to Polka! :-) I'm still trying to find info on family restaurants that play traditional music... even went to the book store this afternoon and looked at a bunch of Dublin travel books, and it still looks like they're all in the pubs. And even in all the sections that address entertaining children, well, they're talking about little ones. The ghost tours sound fun, but we can do that in London and Scotland...haven't given up entirely yet, but we're talking 500-600 U.S. bucks to fly over. Wouldn't want to take the chance of getting kicked out of every place we wanted to hear the music, and get some Irish folk culture.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How old to enter pubs in Dublin?

Dear podo944

Have you heard of Comhaltas? It's an organisation that has been promoting irish music and dance at home and abroad for over 50 years. In the summer there are seisiun's held on a weekly basis all over the country. There's bound to be one near you. The seisuin's are usually held in hotels or halls and are open to all. In fact many young people take part.

Go to http://www.comhaltas.com/seisiun/index.htm

9. Re: How old to enter pubs in Dublin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 21:18