We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good maps and question about Kilmainham Gaol

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington state
13 posts
Save Topic
Good maps and question about Kilmainham Gaol

Hello. I'll be staying at the Grand Canal Hotel in Dublin and would like to visit Kilmainham Gaol. Is this far from my hotel, and any idea how much a taxi ride there would be?

I'd like to find some good maps of the cities I'll be visiting that have points of interest on them as well as enough detail that I could walk to my destinations if they're not far. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sue

Washington state
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good maps and question about Kilmainham Gaol

One more question. Is my hotel very close to Temple Bar? I'd like to have a look around there one afternoon, and would love to walk if it's not too far.

Sue

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
101 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good maps and question about Kilmainham Gaol

To answer your last question first, you could definitely walk to Temple Bar from your hotel. While The Grand Canal Hotel is slightly outside the centre of the city, it will still only be about a 15-20 minute walk (2 miles) to Temple Bar from there. I usually find http://maps.google.com good for maps. You can type in the name of a hotel or attraction and it will find it for you on the Dublin map. Perhaps you could print out a few maps from there to bring with you.

The hotel's website (www.grandcanalhotel.com) has good information on walking distances to various places from the hotel if you click on the "Location" button.

You may like to get the bus or DART (our local train service) into the city centre. In this case, the nearest DART station to you would be Grand Canal Dock and this is situated opposite your hotel. For the city centre, you would get off the train at the very next stop (Pearse St) for Grafton Street and Stephen's Green or at the stop after that (Tara St) if you want to go to O'Connell Street. If you get off the DART at the Tara St stop, then you can get the number 90 bus from there to Kilmainham Gaol.

Although I would recommend the DART over the bus for getting into the city centre, there are frequent bus services along Northumberland Road and Mount Street which are near to your hotel. You could get the 7, 45, 63 or 84, amongst others, into town from there.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! Good choice on deciding to go to Kilmainham Gaol while you are here in Dublin. It is my favourite tourist attraction in the city and you won't be disappointed by it!

Alternatively, if you decide to take a taxi to get to Kilmainham Gaol, that would cost you between €10-€15 from your hotel.

Washington state
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good maps and question about Kilmainham Gaol

Fairyfort, thanks so much for your help. I am with a tour, so I don't have a large amount of free time. Any idea how long it would take me to get to Kilmainham Gaol if I took public transport? I'm thinking I may need to take a taxi just to save time. How long will the tour take?

Thanks for the info on the google maps. I was just thinking a paper map would be better so I can see the whole city at once, rather than one screen at a time. But I'll definitely take a look.

One more question. I'd love to listen to some traditional Irish music on my one free evening there. It will be a Friday night. What pub would you recommend that is fairly close by and not too touristy? Would it be best to take a taxi if I'll be coming back some time before midnight? I'll be by myself. Again, I really appreciate the help.

Sue

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
480 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good maps and question about Kilmainham Gaol

Hi

We visited Kilmainham Gaol about a month ago and it is well worth going. If you want to get a sneak preview of the inside of the gaol before you go, watch the films, In the Name of the Father or the original Italian Job with Michael Caine. You will recognise the inside when you are there.

You are guided round the prison in a small tour which tend to leave about every 20 to 30 minutes and the tour will last nearly an hour and a half. The guide we had was very passionate about the history of the place and its previous occupants which came across in her commentary.

So from the time you arrive, you could be there for over two hours. Apart from the tour, there is a small museum to look around and a small cafe.

We walked from our hotel which was near Heuston Station, through the grounds of the Museum of Modern Art and was about a 20 to 30 minute walk from the station which is on the Luas line (tram), plus many of the bus routes. There are also buses which go past the gaol to the city centre.

As far as maps are concerned, the Guinness Storehouse has leaflets all over the city which includes a good city centre map and they are free. In fact our hotel was handing these out to guests asking for directions.

Hope you have a very pleasant trip.

Washington state
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Good maps and question about Kilmainham Gaol

Thanks for the very helpful info. I'll probably need to take a taxi then since I have limited free time that afternoon.

Sue

6. Re: Good maps and question about Kilmainham Gaol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 12:16