We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone ever stay at these hotels?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
Anyone ever stay at these hotels?

The 2 cheapest travel packages I can find offer these two hotels, anyone have any idea how bad they are? :)

Sheldon Park-4 miles out of Dublin

Skylon-2 miles out of Dublin

Dublin
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone ever stay at these hotels?

I went to a wedding in the Sheldon Park a couple of years ago and it was grand, I didn't see the rooms however. I also haven't been in the Skylon in a few years and have never seen the rooms, it is a McEniff hotel now and the Sheldon is a Best Western which are 2 good names.

I think with both the Skylon and the Sheldon, there are other hotels that may suit you better if you're looking to use Dublin city centre as your base.

New York
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone ever stay at these hotels?

These were by far the two cheapest we could get with our travel package, so that is why I was considering them, thanks for your help!

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone ever stay at these hotels?

Hi. I'm just wondering what you mean by package? Two alternatives might be the Jurys Inn Christchurch and Bewleys Ballsbridge. Cheers.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone ever stay at these hotels?

Oh. I saw the answer on another thread. I'm still wondering about the price though, if I may be so bold. Cheers.

New York
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone ever stay at these hotels?

Not a problem. On Orbitz.com you can get two round trip flights (direct--no connections) from NYC to Dublin, plus 6 nights in a hotel (we chose the Sheldon since it is much cleaner apparently) for about $1500. Not a bad deal as far as I'm concerned (originally it was suppose to be about $1750 but I found discount coupons online for European vacations)

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone ever stay at these hotels?

that seems to be a good price for the trip

The Skylon is on the road from the city centre to the airport. Buses will take you to and from the city centre. The hotel is not new.

The Sheldon Park is a new enough hotel and has great reviews on this website. There is a leisure centre with pool , gym etc there. There is a tram (luas) stop across from it which will bring you to the city centre in about 20 mins.

The Skylon is surrounded by more residential areas whereas the Sheldon Park is surrounded by retail parks(large DIY, furniture stores etc) and other industry. The tram from the Sheldon is probably quicker than the bus from the Skylon into the city centre.

I would read the reviews on this website but personally I would prefer the facilities at the Sheldon but perhaps the location of the Skylon

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone ever stay at these hotels?

Personally I would choose neither. Both hotels are outside the city. Take my advice and choose a hotel close to the city centre. In that way you can drop back to your hotel for an afternoon rest before taking on the city again in the early evening. Traffic in Dublin is chaotic and it is far better that you choose a hotel within walking distance of the shopping/bars/cafe areas etc. However if it about budget......

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
244 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone ever stay at these hotels?

About how far would you say this hotel is from the city centre?

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone ever stay at these hotels?

What hotel are you referring to?

Ireland
Level Contributor
679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone ever stay at these hotels?

The Skylon is in a pretty good area.

It is well served by bus routes, and drumcondra is quite a nice area with several pubs, and restaurants. It is also on the main route between the city centre and the airport.