We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which one is the better idea?

New York
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
Which one is the better idea?

Through orbitz.com we can get two really cheap packages for Dublin, hotel & flight included. Now both hotels are anywhere from 2-4 miles outside of the city center. Does Dublin have a large public transport system? We are thinking of doing a number of day trips from Dublin and were also considering renting a car. What do you guys think is best? Thanks so much!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
102 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which one is the better idea?

Dublin's public transport system leaves alot to be desired, especially if you're used to the subway system in New York! Having said that, however, it can be alright if you know how to go about using it!

Our public transport system consists of the DART, which is a train that runs in a straight line right around the coast of Dublin bay, two Luas (tram) routes which run from the suburbs in Sandyford and Tallaght into the city centre (and are not connected up to each other) and a bus system (www.dublinbus.ie) which is quite extensive and certainly reaches further out than 2-4 miles outside the city centre.

If you let us know where your hotel is located then maybe we can advise you on the best way to travel into the city centre from there. I wouldn't recommend trying to drive a car in the city centre (the constant changing of lanes leaves me confused!) but if you plan on travelling elsewhere around the country then a car might be a good idea.

New York
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which one is the better idea?

Thanks so much Fairyfort.

I think the hotel we'll be staying at is either:

Sheldon Park

Kylemore Road, Dublin, 12

4 Miles West of Dublin

or

Skylon

Upper Drumcondra Road, Dublin, 9

2.1 Miles North of Dublin

Which one do you think is better to stay at to have good access to the city (how late does the transport system run?) and also we want to see some sights outside of Dublin through using some of the cities tour companies for short day trips.

Thank you so much for being so helpful!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
102 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which one is the better idea?

If you stay at either of those hotels then I think that the bus (or a taxi) would be your only transport option. If you go to www.dublinbus.ie you can type in either of those road names and it will tell you which buses travel along those roads into the city centre.

It's difficult to know which one is a better option as you'll end up on public transport from either, but you could possibly walk from the Skylon (for about 20 minutes) into the city centre if you really wanted to. My guess would be that if you were to get the bus from either of those hotels, it would take about half an hour to get into the city centre. And you can probably double that time during rush hour in the morning and evening!

The last buses leave the city centre at 11.30pm, the last DART is at about 11.15pm and the LUAS (tram) runs until 12.30am. After this time there are night buses (www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/nitelink.asp) which run every hour from 12.30am to 4.30am on weekdays and every 20 minutes at weekends.

New York
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which one is the better idea?

Are Dublin taxi's expensive?

Thanks so much for all those links!

Any advice for which companies are best for day trip excursions? Also which day trip excursions are the best? (we really want to see the beautiful Ireland countryside, castles etc.)

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,276 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which one is the better idea?

giant, i highly recommend renting a car and going on your own...i don't however recommend driving in dublin proper.....if you have your own transportation you can just come and go as you please.....i think most here will agree being on you own is the way to go.....if you stay outside dublin you can easily catch a bus into city centre whenever you like without the horror of driving in that dublin traffic.....lol...

also, i think if you check, you can book your own airfare, and then your own room whether it be hotel, b&b, castle, etc., and you will spend less money.....

happy planning....

New York
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which one is the better idea?

The hotel we are thinking of, Sheldon Park, is right across the street from the LUAS train (apparently only about 15 min. to the center of the city)

Do they have weekly passes for this train system?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
102 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which one is the better idea?

If you're beside the LUAS then you'll have no trouble at all travelling around. That would nearly be a deciding factor for me. The luas is a fantastic service with regular, modern trams and short journey times into the city centre. They do have 7-day passes aswell. Their website (www.luas.ie) should give you the details about that.

I don't know too much about tour companies in Dublin but I hope my information ahs been helpful so far!

New York
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which one is the better idea?

You have been MORE than helpful: you have been fantastic! Thank you so much once again!

Yes apparently the Luas is about a 3 min. walk off of the red line. The only thing I'm surprised by is that the hotel is listed as 4.1 miles out of the city center yet how can it take 15-20 min. to get there by train/taxi?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,279 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which one is the better idea?

In a nutshell - Dublin Traffic....

Every year we travel from Limerick to Dublin Port to travel to Europe via the UK.

It takes us as long to get from Limerick to the outskirts of Dublin as it takes us to get from the outskirts of Dublin to Dublin Port.....

Having had one too many near misses with ferries, I am now considering driving up the night before, staying in the Dunlaoghaire/Dalkey/Glenageary Area and using the Dunlaoghaire Port.....

New York
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which one is the better idea?

Ahhh...so that's what takes so long. Seems like the Luas system is best! We intend to get a weekly train pass and use the system. The only times we might need a taxi are REALLY early (5am ish) or REALLY late (after midnight) I would assume traffic is smoother for a taxi then?