We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Could someone please translate for me...

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Could someone please translate for me...

In pounds and inches?

"10kgs and with dimensions no greater than 55cm x 40cm x 20cm"

I never learned this in school... (I was absent that day ;-)

need to know if travelling with just hand luggage is realistic.

Thank you so much!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,663 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Could someone please translate for me...

There are 454g in a Lb, therefore 10kg = 22lb

There are 30cm in a foot, therefore 55cm = 21.7 inches

40cm = 15.7 inches, 20cm = 7.9 inches.

This page may help....http://www.manuelsweb.com/in_cm.htm

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Could someone please translate for me...

These measurements are usually the measurements of the smaller case when you purchase a set of three. Make sure that your measurement takes in handles and wheels. I was away on a recent trip with my wife for a 3 day weekend and this size case was just fine for a couple of shirts, toiletries and some underwear. She had her own. Remember most airlines only allow 10 kilos hand luggage. Most cases take up 3 of these. Remember if travelling overseas you will not be able to bring duty free etc

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Could someone please translate for me...

Just thought of something...

What about my purse? If I have a purse (it'sa normal, yet good sized shoulder strap bag that holds a lot) as well as my allowed carry on, will they fuss?

Thanks!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Could someone please translate for me...

podo, that is a great question...year before last i had my back pack and my "nice sized" purse....they weighed them!!!!!!...then told me i could either keep my purse or my carry on...well i almost died of a heart attack.....hehehe...they said even though my size was legal, it's weight was not....so i got my meds out of my carry on, dumped it in my purse and off i went....that has only happened to me twice and both times it seemed the airline employee was just in a stinky mood and wanted to make someone else miserable....lol....

now i take my backpack, and my fanny pack (bum bag for my irish friends) and have no problems....

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Could someone please translate for me...

Oh my gosh! I'll keep my meds in my purse! Gads... that's another thing I'm going to have to sort out. I think you can take on meds with liquids in them as long as they're prescription right? I have allergies and asthma, so I carry an arsenal with me! :-P

BTW, I wonder is they'd discriminate against my husband if he carried on a "man purse" ? He he... On second thought, I don't think my hubby would be too keen on that idea anyway!

Cheers!

California, USA
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Could someone please translate for me...

Be sure to have a copy of your prescription with you! And ask before boarding if it is necessary to check any liquid meds. Sometimes they will allow you to pass them through security and sometimes they won't. Ask your Doc to write you a note if they are OTC. You may feel like a kindergartener but at least you won't be sneezing.

I had Ambien and bottled water in my carry-on my last trip overseas and they made me check them both. I was wide awake and not too happy. Hopefully the restrictions will ease up a bit...

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Could someone please translate for me...

You will not be allowed to pass through security in Europe with bottles of water or any bottle over 100 mls. in your carry on luggage. Same goes for gels, creams, oils, sprays, deodorants, toothpaste, mascara etc. Any of the above items must be in containers less than 100mls and presented in a clear see through freezer type bag of a certain size seperate to your other carry on luggage. Do not even try, they will be confiscated. You can however purchase bottles of water airside and carry them on the plane.

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Could someone please translate for me...

snip>You will not be allowed to pass through security in Europe with bottles of water or any bottle over 100 mls. in your carry on luggage.<

Could someone please tell me how much "100 mis." in ounces?

Curious... what is "mis"? Sorry to be so clueless (thus my origianl post.)

Thanks!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,663 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Could someone please translate for me...

Just had a look at my measuring jug - 100mls = roughly 4 fl oz or 1/5 of a pint.

Mls - Millilitres: 1ml = 1/1000 of a litre.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Could someone please translate for me...

bean you are our measurement wizzard.... :>)