We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin on St. Patrick's Day

california
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin on St. Patrick's Day

This will be my first trip to Ireland and I will be there for St. Patrick's Day. Any advice on what the crowd will be like?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,085 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin on St. Patrick's Day

large.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,785 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin on St. Patrick's Day

drinking.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,085 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin on St. Patrick's Day

green.

Ireland
Level Contributor
220 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin on St. Patrick's Day

Yes, all of the above! To be honest I have stopped going into the city centre on St Patricks Day as it is always overly crowded and full of drunk revelling teenagers. (And adults!) There is no public transport on because of the parade. The parade & other organised activities as part of the St Patricks Festival are good and worth a look, but I would get out of the city centre as early in the day as possible to avoid the bedlam that ensues in the afternoon...!

Dublin
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin on St. Patrick's Day

Blue eyes,

The crowd in Dublin can be a shock to people for the first time. The parade itself is a good event, a lot more colour and entertainment that the type of events you'd see in the States, the biggest problem however kicks in once the parade finishes up, you get a lot of young teenagers drinking heavily for the rest of the day and the city centre can get very messy in terms of both litter and drunkeness.

To get away from this you need to find yourself a good bar with good Irish music and the like where you can sit back and relax for the rest of the day away from all the hassles and you'll have a good time.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin on St. Patrick's Day

The Skyfest fireworks display along the river is on the night after St Patricks Day, 18th of March. this is well worth going to. Go early to get a good spot though

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
306 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin on St. Patrick's Day

Enjoy the Parade but be wary later in the day. The last couple of years there has been drunken violence. Enough to make News reports but not enough to get extra Gardai on the streets.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
195 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin on St. Patrick's Day

We were there last St. Patrick's Day and had a lot of fun. We were still adjusting to the time change so we went to bed rather early. But, we went to the parade, had dinner and hung out at the Brazen Head for a while.

There are a lot of people at the parade so be ready to walk a while to find a good spot. The parade is much different from those in the states- much more creative and artistic. There will be a lot of drinking and fighting afterward, so just be prepared for that.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin on St. Patrick's Day

I went up to the Parade last year and it was brilliant despite the freezing cold. No sign of rowdiness around Grafton Street or over at the funfair or music stand. Lots of Gards everywhere.

Please wrap up warm. There is a lot of standing around. Two american girls standing next to us, who had come over from Spain for the day, nearly got hypothermia.

california
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dublin on St. Patrick's Day

Hello irishrover,

Thanks so much for the advice on the weather, being from California I am not accustomed to the cold however I just bought a nice down jacket and a scarf so I think I should be all set!

I had another question I was hoping you could help me out with. Here in the states it is a must to wear green on St. Patrick's Day if you are going out to the bars. Is it the same in Dublin?