We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oughterard or Cong

Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Oughterard or Cong

Can't decide which of these places to spend a couple of days. We want to walk within the lakes area, have a boat trip and visit the castle and everywhere else. We need some help in making a decision. Would liked to have stayed at Lisloughrey Lodge but it is too pricey for us in high season. Thanks.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,386 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oughterard or Cong

Of the two Oughterard would get my vote every time.

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oughterard or Cong

Can you pls share what your preference is based upon?

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oughterard or Cong

I visited Cong in March 2009, and spent a pleasant few hours visiting the lovely riverside area, and having lunch at The Hungry Monk Cafe.

However, I wouldn't have stayed there. The downtown was okay, but had a depressing feel to it. Okay for a daytrip, but I'd stay somewhere else.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,386 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oughterard or Cong

If you are spending a couple of days then the people are as important as the location and maybe it's me but Oughterard is a warmer pace with more to do and less tour bus's to dodge.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oughterard or Cong

Would agree with Tony. I had a summer job in Cong when I was a teen - a pretty village but rather sleepy........I doubt much has changed since I last visited over a year ago!

Edited: 01 March 2011, 16:06
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,423 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oughterard or Cong

my vote is oughterard also...in fact, plan to stay about 3 days, again in may.....

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oughterard or Cong

I went to and through Cong on a bus tour last year. We spent maybe 45 minutes there. I felt like that's all I needed to do...don't plan on going back, or least not to go back if it's out of the way. It was worth the quick visit, but I'd echo that it's kind of a downer. (And note that I am a fan of 'The Quiet Man' movie...cheese and all.)

I'd pick Oughterard from everything I've read...in fact I'll be visiting in May of this year...

Keith

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,230 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oughterard or Cong

Another vote for Oughterard. To use the often hackneyed phrase, it is mor "authentic"

Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Oughterard or Cong

Well, that doesn't leave me in any doubt :-) Thanks, and those that are visiting in May, pls drop a line on how things went. Now all I have to do is to decide where to stay.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,423 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oughterard or Cong

in may 08 i stayed here...beautiful, great breakfast, terrific host/hostess..... http://www.carrowntober.com/ just a few minute walk to the village.....

this may i am staying here because a friend of mine recommended it .... i've already checked and they said i wouldn't have any problem just showing up....since i'm not positive which day i'll get there that was great for me.....

oughterardtourism.com/mysitecaddy/site3/west… this one is in the village......